74s with a power valve in the front and 82s in the back is where they ended up...I hate power valves but I was outvoted. To be honest this Nuyten modified 850 that is supposd to flow 900+ has not really delivered, and if I had tested at any time before either of the past 2 Drag Weeks, the 389 would probably be wearing the annular booster 750 that it was raced with for 7 years.
We buttoned up a few more things on the Valiant, The Belvedere, and the Dart. Dale's stepson Cody came out to get on his crotch rocket and announced, "I'm going to the track for the Midnites, any of you guys coming out?"
I looked at Darryl, and he shook his head, "Naw, I think we should go to bed early tonight so we can get out there in the tech/registration line first thing tomorrow, and get plenty of time to make hits then."
I quickly agreed, for two reasons, I was wore plum out for one, and I felt better about getting Rachael acclimated to racing the Belvedere in the daylight, and a more controlled
environment than most of the Midnite races at Tulsa that I had been to before.
I went over to check on Boone and Dale, who had been joined again by Tom, where they were making progress on the Gremlin. They had re-built the steering completely to make room for the header on that side, had added a bolt-on short cowl scoop to allow room for the breather, switched shifters, and had rocker arms scattered everywhere...
"What's with the rockers?"
"Trying to get something that will fit with the pushrods I have here", Dale mumbled.
I had only seen the engine with the valve covers on all week, so I didn't realize that was a hurdle that hadn't been crossed yet.
"Rachael and I are gonna knock off, and head over to Boone's and try to get to bed early." I commented.

We arrived at Boone's to find my Mom fixing supper...perfect timing! "Mom, what are you doing down here?" I asked.
"Came to pick up your Father..., you boys are working him too hard, so he needs a day of rest. I'll bring him back Monday morning", her tone let me know it wasn't open for discussion, so I didn't push it.
After we ate, and Mom and Dad left, I looked at Darren, who had came in from the shop. "You going back out there?"
"Naw, I'm going to bed, and getting back up at 3AM, to start again", he decided.

After throwing a load of laundry in and a shower, I fell asleep quickly. Several hours later, Boone woke me up. "Darren went to bed?"
"Yeah, he's gonna start at 3am, or so he said."
"Dale and I just came over to help him..."
"What's up with the Gremlin?" I interjected.
"Threw in the towel...3 sets of rockers and 6 sets of cup/ball pushrods and nothing that we could make work!"
I mumbled something and rolled over, giving in to unconsiousness yet again.

Hot Rod Drag Week 2011: The Experience Previous thread

Hot Rod Drag Week 2012: The Experience Next thread

At this point, I've decided to move to the beginning of the actual event. Sunday Registration ..I've included the links because I had feedback that some people weren't able to follow along.

Thanks everyone for all the input, and encouragement to continue with this tale, hopefully it sheds a little light onto why people enjoy this event so much!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines