When we returned to Dale's house after dropping off the Charger, we found Darryl with his Dart unloaded, and Dale working on the troublesome headers once again.
Boone walked up to Dale, and said, "Well, we discussed making a choice on one of these last night, and since you're still working on the headers...I guess the Gremlin is the choice...the Truck is out!"
Dale just gave him a blank stare, and I turned to Dad, "What just happened?"
Dad shrugged and started helping Boone clean up the tools, spare parts, and sub-assemblies that were scattered over a half-acre.

Boone never has explained exactly what changed his mind on a continued effort toward the Truck, but I really feel he didn't want to bolt all the body pieces back on until the paint and body work were up to his standards, whatever that may be. Welding in the down bars (still not done) would have sealed the deal, as the bed would have been permanently mounted at that point. The doors were also a sticking point. The 65 doors are pretty rough, and need attention, the 68 doors are perfect, but don't feature the refrigerator handles...and for Boone that is a must have. Just the day before he had gotten tabs welded on the aluminum radiator, and the fuel cell, as well as the bung for the -10 return, and I felt he was making good progress..then it was over.

All of us have been surprised by the interest this project has generated, and I promise to keep everyone informed as progress continues now that the dust has settled!

7396325-100_0502-Copy.jpg (123 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines