I realized it was getting later in the day, but I hadn't seen any delivery trucks. I hollered at Dad who was working around the engine trying to figure out how to mount the hilborn style scoop to the carbs, and determine the hole needed in the hood.
"Dad, you heard or seen any deliveries? I think everyone is expecting some today."
"Nah, nothing."
I walked around to the front of the house, and the porch area looked like Christmas Eve with all the Summit boxes stacked up. Dad and I about had them all emptied out when Boone showed up with the body parts...and Pizza! I knew there was a reason he was my favorite brother!!
As we worked our way through Pizza Hut's finest, and sorted through new parts (thank goodness Boone ordered Red/blue AN fittings and Darren ordered Black, or we would still be sorting) I asked Boone about the down bars on the Truck.
"You seem to be avoiding them...we have to get holes in the back of that cab sooner or later."
"Yeah, Dale and I have discussed it several times, but I haven't really decided how to go about it."
So, we started looking it over, and those who've spent time around sweptlines will know what I'm explaining. We decided to drill the holes in the stamped metal of a small window cab, that basically takes the place of the big back window..so if it were a big back window cab, the bars would be going through the area of the glass as far up and out as you could get. Of course it was still double walled, and beat the heck out of the cheap hole saw we were trying to use. Next we grabbed up a stick and started bending...now we are far from master fabricators, and the first bend meant to bring the bar through the cab was a failure, so we turned the stick around and started on the other end!
About the time, (hours later) that Boone and I felt we had one bar bent and mocked up perfectly, Dale came home from work: "That looks like Fido's butt!" he exclaimed, "I thought we agreed on X-bars", he glared at Boone, "Short ones, coming out of the cab in this area!" he pointed to a spot much lower and further inboard.
"That angle would never work", I interjected, "Besides, that would be too low on the hoop to cert..."
"That looks like a work truck, or a stinking mud truck..." Dale continued to protest. About that moment Darren walked in the back yard to pick up his fittings and stainless exhaust parts, "Grood grief..that's hideous, who's idea was that!" he pointed at the single down bar resting in the back of the bed.

It was going to be a long night...

7390993-100_0503.jpg (116 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines