I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Paul Kaufman. I have worked for World Products as a technical representative and engine builder for approximately a decade. I have been building engines professionally for the better part of my life with over 40 years experience in both the private industrial sector and performance speed industry. I have been asked to express my opinion ( and that of World Products ) regarding concerns some of you may have with the main studs utilized on the Mopar iron and aluminum Hemi and Wedge blocks manufactured by World Products. World has manufactured several thousand of both the iron and aluminum blocks in the last few years and recently we have heard that some of these studs have failed when torqued. I have personally assembled many of the Hemi and Wedge engines at World Products, and have not had any issues. I would love to be able to say that there are many torque wrenches that are being used that were manufactured in third world countries and that is the problem, but that would be unfair. World Products does not manufacture studs nor do we import inexpensive hardware from China. The studs used on the Mopar iron blocks are to Mopar's engineering specs and our engineers determined those studs to be of sufficient quality for use on World Products aluminum blocks as well. These studs are not ARP. More recently World Products chose to switch to the ARP brand studs, not because we found them to necessarily be better, but to align ourselves with the hardware being utilized on our Chevy and Ford blocks. I would like to point out that over the years I have experienced failure with hardware manufactured by ARP, but grab another one and move on. I have also experienced a rod breaking or a lifter failing, all from big name brand manufacturers, but that doesn't mean the sets of parts were all defective. The point is sometimes rods break, lifters fail and bolts and studs stretch, break, threads gall, etc. It is the nature of metal objects that have been cast, poured, machined and manipulated that a small percentage will fail, regardless of who manufactured the item. If you find one defective stud that does not mean all the studs are bad. As with most manufacturers, World Products has a warranty policy. Should you find any defect in any of World Products parts or components within one year of purchase simply contact us and we will be more than happy to exchange that defective part. If you would like to change out your hardware to a complete set of ARP studs, you can purchase them from your local ARP dealer or retailer. The caps are located by ring dowels and block registers. The line bore will not be affected. The torque rating on the ARP studs remains the same. Thanks for your time, Paul

Wow, has this taken an interesting twist. Let me first explain my position. I have no reason, no hidden agenda, or no ill will against World Products. Have no reason to. I had talked to Paul quite some time ago before PRI and we discussed their engine builder program. It wasnt soemthign that would work for me, so I chose not to participate, as the bulk of what I do is Mopars, and they just didnt have enough other products to assist me in my business. Paul was fine to talk with, and they were at the beginning stages of trying to build up their engine builder program. I alos know that they were NOT building a lot of Mopars out of their shop. I am sure they will say different ( as kind of already stated) , but from one of their employees, in a direct phone call, they simply were not.They are obviously far more concerned with building Chevies. ( and that is fine, I understand).

To come on here and say that we are using cheap offshore torque wrenches, think we are rocket scientists, dont know how to properly torque a main bolt is absolutely appauling.When I say these studs were junk, I am telling you, they were junk. I still have some of them left, so now the thought process should be to go have a stud inpsected at a metallurgical lab, and I bet I can pre-write the diagnosis.

I had another well known and respected builder in my shop when this first came to light. He saw it, felt it, and experienced. So as not to think I was crazy, I took the block to another shop who has a jig bore mill, as I was ready to install Time Sert inserts into the block, as it seemed like the threads were pulling. Although they werent engaging smoothly, I finally realized the threads werent the problem.Once I set up a indicator, and then torqued a ARP stud, and then a World stud, it was VERY clear what was going on. I then inspected the studs closer and it was very evident. My question is now, since they wanted to be better aligned with what they use for their Fords and Chevies, why didnt they just use ARP from the start ?Like they do in their ither engines. I can guarantee you one thing, if Bill Mitchell was building THIS motor,for himself, he wouldnt have used these studs.As you may now realize, I had a ton of time wrapped up in this, making it right.

I am not on a witch hunt. I am merely explaining what I have found. It is truth. Period. I am experienced enough to know the difference. Those of you that know me, know that I dont watse time on the internet in " internet drama" and " internet bashing". I prefer to either just handle things myself, or call the manufacter.The problem is, like many engine builders, your under the gun, have a lot of pressing schedules, and just handle it yourself.I didnt feel from previous experiences with World,( other fellow shops) that they would handle the situation at all. We have now experienced that first hand.

I have had World Hemi blocks, World Wedge blocks, ( cast iron) but have not used a World aluminum block. Cant say anything about those, havent touched one.

Since we are the inexperienced ones, then why would I need to finish milling out several of the water passage holes in the block, repair the large step that was left on the block by the rear main seal area, so bad the retainer wouldnt fit. ( another expense for me)and fix the dowel holes in the decks? I did re-align hone this last block after changing the studs. I simply was not going to even risk anymore issues. Its going in a 7 second dragster, so I didnt want him driving over the crankshaft at 180mph.

In closing, I think their answer is poor. They used something ( dont know whos) other than ARP to save money. I can hardly believe its anything else. ( and that is ok as well, but they should have been of decent quality).I will agree that ANY manufacter can have an issue. ARP, World and so forth. It happens. Its how they handle it that matters. I think you just got a taste of " how they handle it". Basically call us incompetent, internet drama hill billies. Another shame.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.