After looking at Coomers pics, ( which kind of look like ARP "finish")it occurred to me that maybe there are 3 versions of this stud. Here is why I make that statement. There is the definate crap stud, as pictured. Then Bobs, which "look" different, but at least more like an ARP. Then there is the stud that I pictured which is definately the newest ARP. When I first found this problem, I simply got individual ARP studs and made up my own "kits" that I needed. In the meantime, ARP came out with a kit, which is what I showed in the picture. I happened to make a call to a buddy of mine who does a very significant amount of World Hemi blocks, and he too had found that there were problems torquing the studs. Now , with all that being said, it is very very possible that a less experienced assembler or builder could have torqued these and never picked up on it. Its one of those " feel" things you get after doing literally dozens and dozens of engines. You may have gotten away with torquing them once or twice, but if your like I am and mock the motor up a few times for fitment, then these things may have even failed over that short of time.

Also be aware, that if if you change out the side bolts for studs, you will have interference with the oil pump ( or could) that will require some attention. Wirh studs, the heads of the nuts will not clear the backside of the oil pump.

I dont know the answer, but I do know the fix. Hopefully Chuck can step back in and explain. Whatever the case, there definately WAS a problem, but was it every block sold? Who knows.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.