my next project, is this original 78 lrx. it came from a shed, the hills of tennessee. after getting it started, the carb let go, and started a sweet underhood fire. the powder extinguisher was used, and saved the truck. replaced the carb with an edelbrock, replaced the wheel cylinders, flex hoses, master cylinder, and shoes and pads, as well as flushing all fluid. got the brakes working great. flushed the cooling system, disconnected the heater, and closed the nipples on the engine. pulled thermostat, and bypass hose, and sealed the bypass nipple with plastic steel, contouring the inside of the thermostat housing, then replaced hose, and added 160 degree thermostat. flushed crankcase, added new filter, and had chassis lubed. new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, along with air filter, and flipped the lid to allow more airflow. threw a toolbox in the bed, 5 gallons of gas, antifreeze, oil, ps and brake fluid, along with some assorted miscellaneous items,and drove from tennessee to florida, visited some friends, then drove florida to texas. total distance was 1990 miles, in a truck that hadnt been driven in 10 years, and had no issues, other than horrible gas mileage.

that was summer 2008, and i've been collecting parts, since then. last summer, i lost a tire, (original 1978 tire, the tread delaminated, on the highway, and shredded the fender and inner, as it disintegrated) and after getting the truck off the highway, i got a loaner spare, from a cool old guy, somewhere between dallas and mineral wells. got four cheapies, and have added another 5000 miles since getting it home. looking for a 408 crank, and assorted engine parts, to nail down the last bits, and i'll start the teardown in july.

5998107-P5220020.JPG (325 downloads)

"When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty"