Originally Posted by 71charger
Not sure how I'm only just seeing this thread now, but I wish I had the space, equipment, and skills to do this to my '55 Plaza wagon.

Space, equipment, and skills are all acquired things. You get them because you have determined that you want them.

I've been doing these old car conversions for many years. I work out of a 2 car garage with a cement driveway. My tool box is a very old 10 drawer Craftsman top chest, and a used 6 drawer bottom box someone gave me. I also have a welder, a bench vice, an air compressor, a plasma cutter (something I didn't have until 1/2 way through my building years), and an assortment of welding clamps.

My skills are 80% learned by experience. You just can't be afraid to screw something up. Success in the little things is what keeps you involved. A bunch of successful little things gives you the experience and confidences to keep moving forward.

The 1st major project I did came out of a junk yard, so I figured I couldn't hurt it in any way. The most I would loose was my time and a few bucks worth of parts that I might not be able to resell after removing before I would send the project back to the junk yard.
Every build brings with it more and different challenges, and plenty of new learning experiences. Its those things that keep bringing me new projects.

My son did a 57 Dodge wagon on original suspension (rebuilt) with a disc brake conversion and has a modern Hemi. You don't have to do a front clip if you don't want to. There are many levels between the stock original and a full blown frame off build.

If you decide to commit to building your wagon, there are people here that have experience. They are more then ready to share and help guide you through the level of build you would like to do. Gene