So the plan was to use the gas tank out of the running Dakota donor but the tank was too wide to go in between the frame rails. A couple of days (or more) surfing the net looking for a tank that would take the Dakota fuel pump as it use a return line type of fuel injection (the limit of my knowledge). It use's a big dumb round nut to hold the pump in and I could never find a definitive answer just hints, that a Jeep Wrangler - YJ from 1987 to 1995 had the same nut. Both kind of Mopar-ish though and the dimensions were workable. Found a couple of used tanks on EBay but no one would ship to Canada, until a new listing said they would, ....by ......(WAIT FOR IT) ......United states postal service!

Built brackets and mounted the tank (took a week) and removed the Dakota pump, it is too tall, so now what? The OEM Jeep pump (would have to buy) has no return line so major re-plumbing would be required, so I disassembled the Dakota pump, the two haves of the pump bracket slide up and down from the factory (wonder why?). So I re-drilled the screw holes and shortened the pump casing. Will it work, who knows, but it fits the tank now. All of this took a lot longer then I can begin to tell you, a week ago I couldn't even spell fuel injection and now I am taking the pump apart, nuts.

The shortened pump and the jeep tank.