Quote:

Quote:

Okay here is what I am having trouble getting a grasp on. Let's say that the balancer did slip and is off a tad. I rotate to 10* BTDC clockwise and then put on the piston stop. Now I go counter clockwise and it should stop exactly 10* ATDC when it hits the stop. Since the balancer is not likely to slip while doing this manually shouldn't it always come up equidistant on the other side of the starting point?

yes, so when you go halfway between the distance between your 2 marks that is exact TDC(whether it has slipped or not) & if that point is right under the O on the timing tab then it has not slipped nor is their any machining errors in the crank keyway and the chain has the same amount of slack on either side(in effect) so it balances out as it is pulled tight one way then pulled tight the other way so it does not interfere with the accuracy of our procedure. Yes as 440sixpack said if 5btdc is into the dwell area of the piston(close to TDC) my directions would make an inaccurate test (its been awhile since my last one) but 10 before & after would for sure be safe(& I would think alot easier) as you dont have to do any measuring of distances or mark anything, if you get 10 before & 10 after you're good, if you get 10 before & it hits at 8 after then 1 degree BTDC on the timing tab is true TDC

Think about it. Even if the chain was missing it would not affect finding TDC.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.