Quote:

Well another thing to consider is valve springs and valve float. How strong is the springs and and how old are they?

Here's the deal on that. Yes it may very well be the problem too. I initially thought of this and RobX4406 and I have hashed it out about a week on this.

The cam mfg (Cam dynamics) originally called out for dual springs with 112 seat pressure @ 1.650 installed height. The springs were installed this go around it seems at 1.70 installed height. Rob said there was no way this was enough seat pressure for the cam and I also looked up the exact same grind from Comp cams and they called out for a spring with a bit more seat pressure but after calling them they informed me that indeed their original spring was a typo and only actually had 115 seat pressure and they now recommend their 928 springs. This would require me to remove the heads and have a ton of more work done of them.

The main deal though is that I cheaped out and didn't even think about replacing the springs when I should have. The engine was built in 87'-'88 time frame and only had about 100 miles put on it by the kid I sold it too. He took the engine out and let it sit for 5-6 years before I got it back. Of course he left the rockers on during this time but I had the heads sitting for another good couple of years with no rockers on them. I didn't even think about springs sitting for that long until all this started happening. I guess the bottom line is that they very well indeed could be most of the problem but I knew these other issues were there too so wanted to save the hardest part for last as it will be a nightmare removing the heads with these supercomps in.

'70 Duster - SDSS 436 W5 4spd (Gone)
'71 Dodge D100
'70 Dodge W100