Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yea guys, play nice. How about a SB Mopar "Build Off" ?

I like that idea.

Small Block Shootout between the Moparts guys would be cool.

Gee guy's can I play too!!, while my combo is not anything exotic I feel it going to be a solid combo for a factory 59* block set-up, and Ryan know's all the rest of what's going in it,, oh by the way, how about 117mph 11.09et,3180 weight (me in it), how do's that compute as far as HP?

And here is what is relaly nice about using something like the moroso calc, on a combo like your's where both your old motor and new oen are not going to ever see the dyno. How else can you make a good cmparision to how much more power yoru new combo makes than teh old one? Timeslips... When you get the new motor dialed in you will be able to have a pretty accurate comparison on both engines.

117 MPH @ 3180 is right around 390 HP

New motor might go let's say 10.30 @ 129 MPH. 525 HP. Looking at the raw #'s...... you'd say OMG!! my current motor "only" makes 390 HP, and my big $ stroker only makes 525????. But the raw # does not matter, you are supposed to be looking at the COMPARISON. And the new one makes 135 More HP... that is the important thing. Comparing one to the next, and not getting hung up on WHAT the raw # is. Moroso could have made their calc different and made all the #'s 50 higher. It still would'nt matter.... So the old motor would be 440 and the new one 575..... they are still 125 apart and that is what we are looking at when trying to compare 1 engine to the next. You are all getting way too carried away with the raw # and where it fits into your paradigm in your head as to what power #'s mean. I don't know how to explain this to people but I'm not sure there really is any one right or wrong horsepower figure. Yes there is a mathematical equation for it, but I don't think there is any way to actually with 100% certainty measure it to a perfect calibration, like we would love to be able to do. If there was a way to do it, it would make life so much easier. What is a real HP #? Who's dyno is "right" and who's is wrong? And why is one right? How do you know it is right? I think the best thing you can do is try to take as many varibales out of the power equation and live with that. And even with that, there are alot of variables in a race car that can affect trap MPH as well. 1 MPH on a 3000 lb car at 130 MPH trap speed is ~12 HP difference. I've seen engine dyno's vary as much as 80 HP which is aprox 6 MPH in a 3000 lb car. So I'm not saying this is the end all way to compare engines, but it may be the best way we have, short of running them all on same dyno. I'd like to think most drag cars are dialed in, gear, converter etc much closer to 1 MPH of potential rather than 6 MPH off.