Quote:

btw......there are a multitude of performance suspension parts for the new cars that dwarfs the offerings for the old Mopars....

True. Very true, especially with the Mustangs and more common new stuff. However, going the old car route still has two very appealing pluses...

One, sheer size and weight. Lets not compare max-offering to max-offering, instead lets compare platforms... and go one step up from body-in white: base model NO-option cars. Compare a 2013 Mustang to a 67 fastback, or even a 69-70 fastback. New: 3500lbs, old 2700-2900lbs. Challenger: 3835lbs, old: 3005lbs. Technology makes up for a LOT... but 800+lbs is a massive handicap, especially when technology has become so easy to apply to the old stuff.

Which brings about point number two, R&D. When talking Mustangs and Mopars, we're not in the 80's anymore. There is a LOT ov stuff out there to bring up the old stuff. From simple little bolt-ons to complete and total re-engineered systems. The Mustangs especially have a comprehensive aftermarket, and unlike the 2011-13 Mustangs and 2008-up Challengers, people have been modifying and racing them for up to 4 1/2 decades. Thats a LOT ov time and brainpower, a LOT ov trial and error, and a LOT ov experience behind those ancient and outdated chassis. The E-bodies got slaughtered in Trans Am when they came out, not because they were awful cars, but because the other makes had 2, maybe 3 years on them. The old stuff has well over three decades on the new stuff...

The 2013 Boss is a stunning car if you really think about it... but park it beside a 67 Shelby and suddenly it looks like a goddamn tank. Now, give that tiny little 67 to a Ford guy who is like Mitch and see what happens. I realize we're not talking what IS happening out there, but more what could happen. Both sides have valid points. Like i said before, i cant decide which way to go, so i'm combining the two. How exactly? that i'm not quite sure yet. Right now i'm in the same boat as many here and just dont have the time or space or means to build a supercar, and would just go out and buy a new car if i could, but there are just too many things about the new stuff i just cant get past, and well... i still happen to have an absolutely perfect starting point sitting in the driveway right now...