Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So the budget has been set buy an old Mopar. The cost of the purchase and upgrades in suspension, drivetrain etc etc etc is set 25k. The performance goal is set beat the capabilities of the 25k Mustang track pack car as listed in the Ebay link.....

Who will try to do this.......?

I have contemplated cutting the body off my 75 dart and cut the body off my 2006 Subaru wrx, and put the abody on the subie frame. There a old Mopar that can beat a track mustang for less than 15k and includes all creature comforts with today's technology. Not counting your time to do it...

My son's 1967 Barracuda fastback (383/4sp/3.55SG) had no trouble beating a well-driven WRX at the local autocross around here (granted that was before 2006)...

I agree Jim..... I have the wrong car to use as a starting point. A 72 Road Runner with a 508, Six Pack auto on column with bench seat, factory air grabber good that weighs close to 4000# with me in it is the wrong car for the track.

There is way too much weight and torque.

Look for the 1972 RR to go up for sale soon. Its a great riding on down the highway car 2.94 gears and 28" tall tires and awesome from a stop light to stop light drag race with that torque of the 508...its amazing the car accelerates the way it does with the weight and rear end gear but it does keep up from a light to the posted speed limits with new ZL1's But then again it is a 508 with Stage V heads that flow 290 cfm max and 240 around .400 lift so it hauls the mail....

You know, one more knock against the 71-72 RR is the smaller wheelwells. I didn't even know this until i bought a really nice and clean 72 Satellite. I immediately swapped over the wheels and tires i'd been driving on in my 72 Charger for years with no issues, and they wouldn't even sit off the jack without rubbing hard on the quarter. The fronts were VERY close everywhere. You have a lot less room than even a 72 Charger. IF you absolutely had to use a 3rd gen B-body, the Charger would be ahead big time i think... as the aero is far better too i think.

Yet still... i have yet to see a pic ov a big B-body (not a light early one) turning a hard corner without what looked like serious drama. Just too big. Take that as a challenge too i guess... but bring more money. They're probably still smaller than a new 300, and definitely a lot lighter.