Quote:

Quote:

At the last SDR-SCCA Autocross a friend of mine was doing some 200tw tire testing in his Mustang on the Saturday practice while I was running the Challenger. The fastest tire he tried was the Falken 615K, and with those was about 2 seconds off of my pace. The following day, when he was back on his slicks, he had me covered by about a second. He is a really good driver and is in the running for a jacket in ESP with a bone stock 2012 5.0 with tires.

Dan, this is the first time you didn't complain about my driving technique!
I agree with Mr. Angry, but wanted to add two more cents, as someone who tracks his old Mopars and new Mustang as often as often as I can: My 2013 420HP GT was $29,800 out the door with a 6spd, 3.73 rear, and Brembo brake package. I added $200 Eibach lowering springs. So for $30K, I have a daily driver track car that beats new Camaros, including a 1LE with a Pedders Supercar Suspension package at the So-Cal Challenge Cammarillo autocross. The Mustang is simply lighter and more nimble. At the last two local Goodguys autocross I ran away from all the new Camaros and Challengers, some with a lot of $$ in mods. Again, the Mustang, on most tracks, is just as fast in a straight line and more maneuverable. I love driving the Mustang daily, and it does many things very well, but, it does weigh 3650 lbs. The Mustang also has traction control/electronics that I think distract from the pure joy of tracking a car, even when supposedly turned off. Against an old Mopar, properly set up by Dan and Hotchkis, on a small course where I can't exploit the Mustangs power advantage, the Hotchkis 71 Challenger is simply a better handling car, and ultimately I think a more satisfying car to drive fast because of the lack of driver aids. This is why next year I am keeping the Mustang on daily driver duty, but having Dan/Hotchkis set up my Valiant to be my track car, and ultimately, for about 2/3 the investment, as fast or faster than a new stock Mustang on most tracks.

Tom, it looks like your Mustang has the Track Pack from the factory. That is a nice combo out of the box.

An A body definitely makes a better contender with its light weight. How much power will you plan on running in the Valiant?