Quote:

Quote:

I dont know where the 3100lb figure comes from, but i'd say its pretty far off... but in your favor. Here's the (vague) math:

70 Challenger: 3006lbs base.
70 Mustang FB: lighter.
69 Mustang FB: lighter still.
67-8 FB: lighter still.
65-6 FB: lighter still.
65 Notch: you get the point.

We 4-corner every car that comes through the shop. That weight for the 65 Mustang is a REAL car. Full steel, iron motor, 2 layers of sound deadening, heater and tunes.

Our Challenger weights are all steel car with Glass hood, Aluminium top end on the motor, full interior, no heater, no tunes.

Okay, i thought he was talking BASE (shipping) weights. 3100lbs for a driving hotrod is a different story. I'm only using shipping (base) weights to compare ultimate potential here.

Quote:

The unfortunate part about the vintage Mustangs is the lack of engine compartment space. Mod motors don't fit in them without a decent amount of cutting and fabrication. It isn't like an LS motor in a GM product or a new Hemi in an old Mopar, which practically fall into place.

Amen to that. After working on the last couple of Mustangs, I wouldn't put anything bigger than a non-mod 5.0 in them.

Worth the cut in my opinion... but then again, i'm head over heels in love with the Ford mod. The old 5.0L with AFR's and the usual stuff would still make more than enough easy power to have a truly fast car in an early Mustang though. I recently drove a very fuel-limited (stock injectors), untuned, very mild-cammed AFR 165-headed 306 in a stockish 3200lb Fox. Just that was fast enough to slam most road Mopars. There was an easy 60HP left in that engine, and thats before you drop the vehicle weight 200lbs or more...