Quote:

Interesting, I looked at one in Jersey right before I bought my 1st one in the fall of 1992. Blue exterior, all blue interior , console auto, factory a/c car. but missing it's vin tag. Non matching numbers car.

That sounds eerily like the one I looked at that was being sold by the owner of Brewster Motors, Brewster, NY around 1996-1998. The dealer told me it was all #'s. After taking the 3 hr drive found out there were no #'s at all. The VIN was state issued (no tag) and there was so much grime on the engine you couldn't find a number. I wanted to strangle the guy...the owner of a dealership no less.

Like Bill, I was pretty active looking for a nice GTX or RT vert during the April 1994- June 1998 period. During that time I listed every '68-'69 GTX/RT vert that showed up in Hemmings...and called on about every decent one for sale around the country (sorry, no internet). During that 4yr period HMN had 22 total 69's, all different, including both of Bill's and Dave's blue cars listed above. 9 of the cars were blue. 6 were listed as #'s. 5 had AC. 5 were 4 speeds.

Went to see Rik Smit's (Poughkeepsie NY area) white/tan w/black top console automatic in 1997. #'s, dealer invoice, 3.23 console auto, ps-mb, am.
It had a build sheet, but for a different car with a very close serial #.

Another car I remember well is a blue/white/white console auto out of Windsor, NY in Oct 1997. PS-PB-AG, AM 8 track. The car was advertised as an older restoration. I took the 4 hour drive to find out it had holes in the wheel wells the size of a football as well as numerous baseball size holes elsewhere. That was not a fun drive home. It later became the "king of perfumed pigs" when it appeared for sale as "freshly restored" at July 1998 Carlisle by its new PA owner. The "restoration" included gallons of bondo poured into the trunk/wheel wells and plenty of chicken wire to keep it all together. Haven't seen that car since. Funny that it was $16,500 when I saw it as a rust bucket. And it was still $16,500 after the "resto." One of the few verts I've seen that needed a full resto right after it completed one.... Hopefully, someone since gave this desireable car a proper resto along the way.