Moparts

69 gtx CONVERTIBLE

Posted By: TrueTripleX

69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/11/12 02:33 PM

This is a SERIOUS question for all you other 69 GTX convertible owners. Would you be receptive to my compiling a list of the remaining 69 X converts out there? I would NOT share this info with anyone who would like to profit off of it, but would gladly make it available to the current owners of a 69 X convert. This way we would finally know what color combinations are available along with all the rest of the info we all want to know. My name says it all. I am a 1969 GTX man all the way (4 of them now - so I am no longer the true triple x man here glad to send pix if interested). Please let me know if you would like to participate in my venture to record all the remaining 69 X convertibles out there.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/11/12 02:53 PM

I'm in , although I no longer own either car I 'think' I still have data tag info on file
If not I know most of the info off the top of my head.

Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/11/12 03:54 PM

Did the one on the left come from NJ? I sold one that looked very similar for my boss about 10 years ago on ebay, I think it went to Kentucky IIRC. I have some pics and the fender tag info too.

Attached picture 7374528-pairofgtxs.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/11/12 03:59 PM

Quote:

I'm in , although I no longer own either car I 'think' I still have data tag info on file
If not I know most of off the top of my head.

[image]www.amhightechauto.com/images/cars/pairofgtxs.jpg[/image]

Thanks Bill. I will get the other info from you shortly. We now have a B3, B5, and an X9 on the list. Come on guys, let's see what we have still left out there of the 700 made.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/11/12 04:08 PM

Quote:

Did the one on the left come from NJ? I sold one that looked very similar for my boss about 10 years ago on ebay, I think it went to Kentucky IIRC. I have some pics and the fender tag info too.

No that one sold new in south western ILL.
440 4spd , B7 Blue, with all blue int, 3.54 Dana
the one on the right sold new in I think central Indiana somewhere - B5 Blue, blue and white interior , column auto 3.23 open rear.

Last I heard the 4 spd car is in Louisville Ky and the auto car is in Las Vegas NV

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/11/12 04:17 PM

Oh ok, this one was also blue/blue interior, white top, black hood stripes, 440 but with console auto, 3.55 I believe. I'll try to dig up the info I have on it.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/11/12 07:04 PM

Quote:

Oh ok, this one was also blue/blue interior, white top, black hood stripes, 440 but with console auto, 3.55 I believe. I'll try to dig up the info I have on it.

Interesting, I looked at one in Jersey right before I bought my 1st one in the fall of 1992 ( the one on the right)

Blue exterior, all blue interior , console auto, factory a/c car. but missing it's vin tag. Non matching numbers car.( he told me over the phone it was ) The guy who owned it had a used car lot.
I was not a happy camper after driving all night to pick that car up to find this info out when I got there.
I was all over the country looking at 1969 GTX convertibles before I bought my 1st one.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/11/12 07:33 PM

Sounds like yet another blue one then. This one had its VIN tag, and no a/c. Also NOM, had a '76 440 in it.
Posted By: drmopar

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/11/12 07:57 PM

A friend of mine has two. One F8 4 speed black interior, buckets console car. The other one he has is a Y2 Yellow with tan interior automatic car. There is also one I know of in Ohio, B5 blue with b7 interior, 4 speed buckets console. Another friend of mine has a W1 white, black interior buckets console auto car. Those are the four I know of currently.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 01:35 AM

Back then I looked at the following, all convertibles .

Y2 Yellow , blk int , 4 spd (not 100% sure of the int color)
White , white int , console auto -( Used in Presidents Nixons inagural parade back then. And he had the buildsheet to prove it )
B5 blue, blue int, console auto
R6 Red , tan and white int , 4 spd
R6 red , white int , 4spd
B5 blue , white int , conaole auto
Red with black int, console auto(don't remember if this one was R4 or R6)

I'll update this as I pull them out of my memory banks

Others I know of
X9 , blk int and top, 440, 4spd , power windows - sitting and rotting away in a backyard near Portsmouth Ohio
B5, blue/white int , white top, 440 ,console auto, a/c car - near the Toledo Ohio area
B5 Blue, blk int, auto, near Findlay Ohio

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 02:44 AM

I found the fender tag info on the car I mentioned above as well as some pictures which I will have to scan when I get a chance.

V21 V6W 26 END
J25? L31 M31 M33 N96 R11
A01 A04 A36 C16 C55 G33
B5 B5 P6D B7 422 185XXX
E86 D32 RS27 L9G 253XXX
Posted By: GKMOPAR

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 03:13 AM

I posted this info on the Question & Answer Forum. My car is R6 & Black, A32 4:10 Dana and N96 Airgrabber. I purchased the car in Columbus Ohio March 1998.

END
L31 M31 M33 N96 R11 26
A01 A32 B51 C16 C55 J25
R6 R6 P6X X9 311 150xxx
E86 D32 RS27 L9G 230xxx

Gerry

Attached picture 7375510-DCP_0002.JPG
Posted By: GKMOPAR

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 03:14 AM

2nd picture

Attached picture 7375513-DCP_0011.JPG
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 06:19 AM

Here are a few that have been on eBay in the last couple of years.

Attached picture 7375755-1969-GTX-convertibles.jpg
Posted By: Matt M

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 05:58 PM

Quote:

Here are a few that have been on eBay in the last couple of years.

Top right F5/Black GTX is a disaster.
I owned this car for 24hrs.

The first and last car I ever bought w/out an inspection.
Owner was not available on the weekends and I could not fly there during the week.

It was for sale at a small collector car dealership in PA.

Owner swore it was number matching with no rust repair.
What an abortion.
It has a 72 transmission, the block was stamped with bogus font the whole VIN and they put 23 instead of 27 on their attempt at forgery.
The car had been back halved and the trunk rail had a different VIN on it.The dash VIN had been attached with regular rivets.
The paperwork that came with the car came with a receipt from the body shop that welded the car back together with a slavage title for the donor car..............
I guess I was lucky to get my $ back. I told him he could send it back or I would come get it personally.
I lost $1000 for shipping and told him he should pay me for that.
(It would have cost about that to get there to inspect the car) I was still pretty hot about the whole thing.

The car popped up (the above photo) at a dealership in St. Louis MO. Advertised as a # matching high end restoration. I called them and told them what I knew. They seemed dazed and confused but I pointed out I paid 30K less than they were asking for the car and I would have never sent it back if it was a correct car.

A day later I received a call from the dealer I bought the car from in PA raising all kinds of cain with me. I can't type what my response was.

Now you know the rest of the story.......

Matt

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 06:04 PM

Quote:

Top right F5/Black GTX is a disaster.
I owned this car for 24hrs.

The first and last car I ever bought w/out an inspection.
Owner was not available on the weekends and I could not fly there during the week.

It was for sale at a small collector car dealership in PA.

Owner swore it was number matching with no rust repair.
What an abortion.
It has a 72 transmission, the block was stamped with bogus font the whole VIN and they put 23 instead of 27 on their attempt at forgery.
The car had been back halved and the trunk rail had a different VIN on it.The dash VIN had been attached with regular rivets.
The paperwork that came with the car came with a receipt from the body shop that welded the car back together with a slavage title for the donor car..............
I guess I was lucky to get my $ back. I told him he could send it back or I would come get it personally.
I lost $1000 for shipping and told him he should pay me for that.
(It would have cost about that to get there to inspect the car) I was still pretty hot about the whole thing.

The car popped up (the above photo) at a dealership in St. Louis MO. Advertised as a # matching high end restoration. I called them and told them what I knew. They seemed dazed and confused but I pointed out I paid 30K less than they were asking for the car and I would have never sent it back if it was a correct car.

A day later I received a call from the dealer I bought the car from in PA raising all kinds of cain with me. I can't type what my response was.

Now you know the rest of the story.......

Matt

Wow Matt, I had no idea that happened to you. Was that after you sold the road runner ragtop?
Posted By: EWJ

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

On the topic of NJ 69 GTX convs: there is/was a B5 blue/black gut 440/4 speed console, AG one around. Would only see it at Lead East each year/every year until I stopped attending 5-6 years ago. NJ plates. Nice car. Never saw it at any other events, back then or currently. Not sure if it is still around- perhaps another NJ member has seen this car?
Posted By: dcastine

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 08:09 PM

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3266394814.html
Posted By: rick@laysons

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 09:11 PM

I know of one 1969 Hemi GTX convertible, red with black gut and top, car presently resides in central Kansas.

I have some pics on another computer of this car running the 1/4 mile at KCIR about ten years ago.
Posted By: roadrunner69s

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 10:16 PM

Quote:

Interesting, I looked at one in Jersey right before I bought my 1st one in the fall of 1992. Blue exterior, all blue interior , console auto, factory a/c car. but missing it's vin tag. Non matching numbers car.

That sounds eerily like the one I looked at that was being sold by the owner of Brewster Motors, Brewster, NY around 1996-1998. The dealer told me it was all #'s. After taking the 3 hr drive found out there were no #'s at all. The VIN was state issued (no tag) and there was so much grime on the engine you couldn't find a number. I wanted to strangle the guy...the owner of a dealership no less.

Like Bill, I was pretty active looking for a nice GTX or RT vert during the April 1994- June 1998 period. During that time I listed every '68-'69 GTX/RT vert that showed up in Hemmings...and called on about every decent one for sale around the country (sorry, no internet). During that 4yr period HMN had 22 total 69's, all different, including both of Bill's and Dave's blue cars listed above. 9 of the cars were blue. 6 were listed as #'s. 5 had AC. 5 were 4 speeds.

Went to see Rik Smit's (Poughkeepsie NY area) white/tan w/black top console automatic in 1997. #'s, dealer invoice, 3.23 console auto, ps-mb, am.
It had a build sheet, but for a different car with a very close serial #.

Another car I remember well is a blue/white/white console auto out of Windsor, NY in Oct 1997. PS-PB-AG, AM 8 track. The car was advertised as an older restoration. I took the 4 hour drive to find out it had holes in the wheel wells the size of a football as well as numerous baseball size holes elsewhere. That was not a fun drive home. It later became the "king of perfumed pigs" when it appeared for sale as "freshly restored" at July 1998 Carlisle by its new PA owner. The "restoration" included gallons of bondo poured into the trunk/wheel wells and plenty of chicken wire to keep it all together. Haven't seen that car since. Funny that it was $16,500 when I saw it as a rust bucket. And it was still $16,500 after the "resto." One of the few verts I've seen that needed a full resto right after it completed one.... Hopefully, someone since gave this desireable car a proper resto along the way.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/12/12 10:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting, I looked at one in Jersey right before I bought my 1st one in the fall of 1992. Blue exterior, all blue interior , console auto, factory a/c car. but missing it's vin tag. Non matching numbers car.

That sounds eerily like the one I looked at that was being sold by the owner of Brewster Motors, Brewster, NY around 1996-1998. The dealer told me it was all #'s. After taking the 3 hr drive found out there were no #'s at all. The VIN was state issued (no tag) and there was so much grime on the engine you couldn't find a number. I wanted to strangle the guy...the owner of a dealership no less.

Bet you a dollar to a donut it was the same car, I drove nearly 10 hours. To say I was pissed is a huge understatement .
I know the guy owned a used car lot in New Jersey New York area, but I don't remember the name of the place.
It wss supposed to be matching numbers drivetrain and rust free, it was neither. The missing vin tag was just icing on the cake.
He said I could drive it home, with the huge section of the radiator that the fan had eaten away at. I had my doubts it would drive around the block without overheating, let alone 500 miles
What sucked is the car was loaded almost perfect for what I like. 440 auto, a/c and a folding top.
He wanted something like $11.5K, I offered $5K cash.......... His reply was I insulted him.
It was all I could do keep from hitting him,,AND his little snake in the grass car salesman that kept saying how much of a cream puff it was and how I was getting such a good deal .

I came home and bought the B5 blue car above .
Posted By: RJS

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 01:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

On the topic of NJ 69 GTX convs: there is/was a B5 blue/black gut 440/4 speed console, AG one around. Would only see it at Lead East each year/every year until I stopped attending 5-6 years ago. NJ plates. Nice car. Never saw it at any other events, back then or currently. Not sure if it is still around- perhaps another NJ member has seen this car?

You may be referring to this one from Wayne NJ but it's a Blue interior and no console.
Guy was asking 55K for a while but it was non matching and should have been B7 although the owner wouldn't believe me.
He kept saying how rare it was because it was a "DRAG PACK CAR"
Looks a lot better in pictures than in person.

Attached picture 7376928-DSC00550(Large).JPG

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 01:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Or you may be referring to my old car after I sold it to a guy from North Jersey.
440 4speed 4.10 dana. It has new floors quarters and trunk.
Was painted a GM blue that was like an enhanced B-5, original color is Y-2.

Attached picture 7376937-IMG_2692(Large).JPG

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 01:19 AM

Second picture, don't have a scanner or any pictures of it on the computer.

Attached picture 7376940-IMG_2693(Large).JPG
Posted By: EWJ

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 04:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or you may be referring to my old car after I sold it to a guy from North Jersey.
440 4speed 4.10 dana. It has new floors quarters and trunk.
Was painted a GM blue that was like an enhanced B-5, original color is Y-2.

This looks like the car Ron. Thanks.
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 04:56 AM

As of about 6 years ago, there was a 69 Hemi/Auto GTX vert, i think F8 green, in northern Virginia, owned by a guy named Leon. He drove it quite a bit to local shows, so it is probably a known car, but I can post pics tomorrow.

Darren

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 12:01 PM

I know at least 2 of the Hemi verts were green .
One with tan int and the other I think has green int, both auto
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 12:36 PM

Anybody know who ended up with this one (ad is gone, but thread is still present). Figured it's another one you all can chase down.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=4#Post7359779

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 03:34 PM

Quote:

As of about 6 years ago, there was a 69 Hemi/Auto GTX vert, i think F8 green, in northern Virginia, owned by a guy named Leon. He drove it quite a bit to local shows, so it is probably a known car, but I can post pics tomorrow.

Darren

#1 - Column Auto, Hemi, Power Windows, 8-Track

Attached picture 7377693-69-HEMI-GTX-1.jpg

Attached picture 7377694-69-HEMI-GTX-2.JPG

Attached picture 7377695-69-HEMI-GTX-3.JPG

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 03:35 PM

Attached picture 7377697-69-HEMI-GTX-4.JPG

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/13/12 04:26 PM

awesome car!
Posted By: GTX fan

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 03:04 AM

Count me in as well. I have a RS27L9G that I purchased in 2005 in southern Illinois. Apparently, originated in northern Arkansas. I had the car restored based on the fender tag. No build sheet. Manufacture date is Jan. 24, 1969. NOM, B5, Black interior, black top, V6R (red sport stripe), D32 (automatic transmission). Car has option H51 (A/C with Heater). How many automatics with A/C were made? I look forward to hearing about other '69 GTX convertibles!

Attached picture 7380828-B0001892.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 03:06 AM

pic #2.

Attached picture 7380830-B0001567.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 03:15 AM

This is a '69 GTX convertible on display at MOPARFEST 2012 in New Hamburg, Ontario. on August 18, 2012. A beautifully restored car!! Hopefully the owner sees this post and adds some additional details.

Attached picture 7380838-BEW_4271.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 03:23 AM

Another '69 GTX convertible from Ontario. This one needs some serious TLC!

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl...QAdIdZ400019175

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 03:54 AM

Quote:

How many automatics with A/C were made?

from the "other" '69 GTX convertible thread

US spec. 1969 GTX convertibles (RS27):

RS27 / E86 / D32 / H51 ~ 81 cars

Great lookin' car! Is that clear glass with the A/C? If the car was built after 1/1/69 it should have headrests.
Posted By: 69x

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 04:19 AM

Great thread, but what I find strange and kind of funny is that you see allot of 69's and a few on this post that are restored to day one but THEY HAVE 68 WHEELS on them instead of the correct 69 wheels with trim rings, I just think its kind of silly to have a car that is so correct except for wheels. That has always really bugged me.
Anyhow, I will share info on a few converts that I remember from my past here soon : )
Posted By: A12

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 06:22 AM

Quote:

Great thread, but what I find strange and kind of funny is that you see allot of 69's and a few on this post that are restored to day one but THEY HAVE 68 WHEELS on them instead of the correct 69 wheels with trim rings, I just think its kind of silly to have a car that is so correct except for wheels. That has always really bugged me.
Anyhow, I will share info on a few converts that I remember from my past here soon : )

Okay here's one with correct (original) wheels..this is the one with A/C, cruise control, power windows, power steering, power brakes, 3.55 axle package, 8-track player, tach, remote adjust mirror, A01 light package, bucket seats, console, Torqueflite, black interior with a black vert top, front and rear bumperetts.........and he ordered but never got the air grabber (because of the A/C) but it has the three speed wiper, AND THE AIR GRABBER HOOD SCOOP INLET GRILLS but not air grabber! The owner ordered it in 1969 when he was going to school in the Daytona, Florida area and he told me he ordered the air grabber option and swears the open grills have been there from day one.

Attached picture 7381034-7373617-2numbersmatching69GTXs.jpg
Posted By: MRVCODE

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 06:31 AM

Not mine, but beautiful! 440, auto, air grabber car.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 06:40 AM

Quote:

Not mine, but beautiful! 440, auto, air grabber car.

Like the Y2 Sunfire Yellow color......that's my Y2 '69 GTX 4-speed above next to the B5 blue GTX vert......guess that's why
Posted By: MattMPA

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/16/12 12:53 PM

The yellow GTX belongs to a friend, Paul Coughlin here in PA. He's the 3rd and 12th owner. It's a very correct, beautiful car.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/20/12 02:10 AM

The ones I remember that were in Minn.

Looked at a Medium green Console auto car in Mpls in 78, black top and seats, AG also, had CB stickers on the back bumper, was suprised it had its 'Road Wheels' and not mags, had a fair amount of bondo and was starting to bubble out in a few places. drove by the place a year later and it was still sitting in the guys backyard, I think he wanted 1,300, dont know its fate, was not so crazy on the color, he wanted to sell it to use as a down payment for a cabin for him and his wife.

A red car(R6 I think ?) with Black top and gut crusing downtown Mpls in the late 70's, It looked nice, a few years later I think this was the car that was in the classifeds in the mpls paper, think it was a 4 speed, price was I think 8,000

about 82 looked at a B7 column auto, B5 seats, white top I think, (it was a long time ago)Guy wanted 600, it was Full of dents, someone took a dent puller to the pass 1/4, looked like it was full of bullet holes. a bit of rust also.

And then there was the Bronze column auto white top and gut car that was sitting on a Mink farm for many years, very low miles, cleaned up and sold to Daimler Chrysler and shiped to their museum in Germany about 10 years ago.

Was told of a B5 one that my body man went to look at about 10 years ago in St Paul, he said it was rough and that the owner thought 20 to 30 K to restore was too much, not sure if its still there

Also remember one at Mopars in the park many years ago, B5- 4 speed console, black top and gut, from Wisc, very nice, wonder where it is now along with the others and if those live today.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/20/12 02:16 AM

Quote:

Also remember one at Mopars in the park many years ago, B5- 4 speed console, black top and gut, from Wisc, very nice, wonder where it is now along with the others and if those live today.

same guy that had it then, still ownes it today.
Posted By: edl

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/20/12 11:23 PM

Quote:

anybody know anything about this car?

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/20/12 11:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

anybody know anything about this car?

Reads posting expired?

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/20/12 11:39 PM

1969 Plymouth GTX, #'s matching 440/727/8.75" (3:23 SureGrip), almost completely rust free, 100% original sheet metal, one repaint of original B7 Jamaican Blue Metallic, B7 Blue interior with buckets/console. Seller has owned for the 20+ years and has just decided that he'd like to sell as he's not using it as much these days. Extensive documentation, always garaged, and very well maintained. N96 Air grabber added to the car. The car can potentially be considered a survivor given the orginality of the undercarrage, it still has the original door panels, factory chrome trim, etc. The factory applied undercoating is not peeling anywhere! Still equipped with its factory original exhaust hangers! 100% rebuilt drivetrain: (440 engine, 727 transmission, and the 8-3/4" rear), New recored radiator and heater core using high quality high capacity US made cores on factory original tanks. New suspension bushings, shocks, factory torsion bars, replacement correct rear leaf springs (have orignal leaf springs). Finding a 69 GTX convertible is hard enough, nevermind a #'s matching and very original car with TONS of the desired paperwork -

Attached picture 7387827-2688308330029207209S600x600Q85[1].jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/21/12 04:01 PM

this is '68 GTX vert - what is it worth?? (assume for purposes of the question that the car is in #2 shape)

This highly documented, Arizona GTX that has been Galen Govier certified. Govier has the car listed in his Chrysler Registry as #24 of 56 Plymouth GTX convertibles and the only one built with a green convertible top. Additional documentation includes; warranty book, owners manual, Certicard, build sheet, buyers order, and tons of maintenance records. The 440 Super Commando starts right up and this GTX drives like new! Additional options and features include; Automatic Trans, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Top, Tachometer, Factory AM Radio, Tinted Glass, Convertible Boot, Tire Tools, Full Spare, 14" Factory Wheels, and NEW Coker Classic Redlines!

Attached picture 7388786-68PlymouthGTX_0k_topup[1].jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/21/12 04:02 PM

another pic

Attached picture 7388787-68PlymouthGTX_0k_medium[1].jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/21/12 04:03 PM

anotherr pic

Attached picture 7388789-68PlymouthGTX_0k_large[1].jpg

another picc

Attached picture 7388790-68PlymouthGTX_0k_interior[1].jpg

another piccc

Attached picture 7388792-68PlymouthGTX_0k_engine2[1].jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/21/12 04:04 PM

aanother pic

Attached picture 7388793-68PlymouthGTX_0k_data[1].jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/21/12 04:04 PM

aaanother pic

Attached picture 7388794-68PlymouthGTX_0k_dash[1].jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/21/12 04:05 PM

another piccccc

Attached picture 7388797-68PlymouthGTX_0k_books[1].jpg
Posted By: jcuda70

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/21/12 06:25 PM

I have an RS27J9G car I look periodically for the 11 or 16 if the Canadian cars are included. Here are the ones I now know about, however, I have never met or talked with another RS27J9G owner just what I have seen on the internet. Mine though in this picture shows well (or maybe ok) is unrestored the paint is very weathered on the other side this is the good side.

So far 5 USA ones
#1 Restorations by Julius B5 Blue exterior, White top, White interior
Found in A West Virginia Salvage yard

#2 Restorations by Julius Black exterior, Black interior, White top

#3 The Green one in this thread with the White top, White interior owned by Leon in Virginia at one time (didn't know about this one until today)

#4 The Red with Black interior Black top mentioned in this thread.(didn't know about this one until today)

#5 Mine F8 Green exterior, Black interior w/console, White top

And the Canadian

#1 Green exterior Tan interior Black top RS27J9G130461 (this one has been through Barrett Jackson I believe) Canadian / Otis Chandlers/ Steve Juliano's Green Exterior Tan interior Black top Kelsey Hays wheels

#2 Bronze exterior Tan interior Black top Dupont Registry
RS27J9G237xxx - T7 automatic

#3 RS27J9G120xxx - A4 automatic
#4 RS27J9G233xxx - ??
#5 RS27J9G247xxx

Did they actually find all five of the Canadian?

Cars/Info that I don't know exactly where they fit in the picture...

One sold at a Mecum auction St Charles Il I believe October 14-16 of 2008 but I don't know anything other than it was an automatic Hemi convertible about the car.

the John Petrie "Supercar Clinic" car

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/22/12 05:08 AM

Quote:

this is '68 GTX vert - what is it worth?? .....

Not exacly sure why we have a '68 GTX convertible WIW in this thread, when there is a whole forum dedicated to WIW?

anyway, I've got a b'cast sheet from a '68 GTX convertible RS27L8G233753 automatic (TT1 S6F 300 313) - "avacaodo green metallic"/green int./green top/white stripe.
Was in my green/green/green 383 Sport Satellite convertible.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/22/12 05:13 AM

Quote:

#1 Otis Chandler's Green Exterior Tan interior Black top Kelsey Hays wheels

#1 Green exterior Tan interior Black top RS27J9G130461 (this one has been through Barrett Jackson I believe) Canadian

I believe these 2 listings are the same car, & IIRC Steve Juliano owned it also.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/22/12 05:37 AM

The CANADA spec. cars were listed in MCG back in '91.
RS27J9G120xxx - A4 automatic
RS27J9G130xxx - F8 automatic (above Juliano/Chandler/BJ) Musclecar Classics 6/87
RS27J9G233xxx - ??
RS27J9G237xxx - T7 automatic (above)
RS27J9G247xxx - ??

Always wondered which of the above was the John Petrie "Supercar Clinic" car? Was it a factory CANADA spec. HEMI car?

Attached picture 7389737-rs27j9g-5840934-petrie13-vi.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/22/12 05:40 AM

I PM'd jcuda70 with Leon's name and number, maybe they will get the chance to talk, Leon is a super nice guy!

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/22/12 05:51 AM

Quote:

You missed another one at Restorations by Julius B7 white-n-blue interior white top and a 4-spd

Attached picture 7389744-rs27j9g-eb74spd.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/22/12 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You missed another one at Restorations by Julius B7 white-n-blue interior white top and a 4-spd

That car is B5 not B7, found in a West Virgina boneyard

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/22/12 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And it was coded for a White stripe not a Red one and Coded for V21 also,wonder why they did not redo it correct, also a Super Trk Pak car, no console

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/24/12 03:46 PM

Thanks for the info guys I've edited my post above to reflect the info y'all have provided.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/24/12 06:14 PM

Quote:

I know of one 1969 Hemi GTX convertible, red with black gut and top, car presently resides in central Kansas.

I have some pics on another computer of this car running the 1/4 mile at KCIR about ten years ago.

This pic was taken 7-1-2001 at the Chrysler Classic at Kansas City Int'l Raceway.......

Attached picture 7392618-1969HEMIGTXconvertible001.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/24/12 06:16 PM

Here's another of him leaving the line.....he was turning about mid 10's in the quarter...

Attached picture 7392619-1969HEMIGTXconvertible003.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/24/12 06:23 PM

That is one awesome pic right there. One of 11 hemi GTX ragtop running the 1320. Good times! Ill bet you will not see that again!

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/24/12 06:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And it was coded for a White stripe not a Red one and Coded for V21 also,wonder why they did not redo it correct, also a Super Trk Pak car, no console

Do you have any evidence to support B5 V21 and/or A34?

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/24/12 10:08 PM

6bblgt & Ludington1 I've sent both of y'all PM's I'm not sure either have gone through let me know if they didn't.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/24/12 10:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dan,
I'm almost positive it was B5 with blue/white int when I was inquiring about it , the rest I don't remember one way or the udder

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/24/12 11:51 PM

Quote:

6bblgt & Ludington1 I've sent both of y'all PM's I'm not sure either have gone through let me know if they didn't.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Got it, Jeremy, I'll try to get ahold of Leon and let you know!

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/25/12 05:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I was in contact with the owner at the time it was for sale, his name is Dave from Ma, he sent me a copy of the Fender Tag.
Posted By: stevenjuliano

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/29/12 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

#1 Green exterior Tan interior Black top RS27J9G130461 (this one has been through Barrett Jackson I believe) Canadian

I believe these 2 listings are the same car, & IIRC Steve Juliano owned it also.

FYI car should have white top, white stripes, steel wheels, white wall tires, no blackout hood. No build sheet/no tags. When i saw it for sale at BJ years after i owned it I mentioned to the seller that I used to own it. He blew me off. Then later galen asked if they could use my name over the mic to say it was once mine. I blew them off. The car had been stripped of many of the trick nos parts that were on it when i sold it. One cool thing about the car was that when it was delivered new to Trumbull Motors in Alberta?? it had a sport satellite finish panel on it.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/29/12 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FYI car should have white top, white stripes, steel wheels, white wall tires, no blackout hood. No build sheet/no tags. When i saw it for sale at BJ years after i owned it I mentioned to the seller that I used to own it. He blew me off. Then later galen asked if they could use my name over the mic to say it was once mine. I blew them off. The car had been stripped of many of the trick nos parts that were on it when i sold it. One cool thing about the car was that when it was delivered new to Trumbull Motors in Alberta?? it had a sport satellite finish panel on it.

Steve if the car had no build sheet or tag how to you know what it was when new ? I am thinking you talked to the first owner maybe ? interesting it came with a Sport Satellite finish panel.thats neat, bet this one had a interesting history, when you say 'trick nos parts' not sure what you mean.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/30/12 03:54 AM

I seem to remember a gtx convertible pulling the wheels in a mopar muscle magazine about 8-10 years ago. Maybe it was at the nationals, coulda been mcg instead of mopar muscle. I'll search around after I get outta this dang hospital.

Ps, want to say it was black with a black top and roll cage.
Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/30/12 12:56 PM

Of all the Mopars, I love the 69 GTX convertable the best. I will never forget my school teacher ordering one in 69'. If you worked hard, got the best grade etc. he would give you a ride in it. Probably scarred me for life! LOL. I was never able to find one so built the only convertable B body I could find, my 66' Coronet. I was at the Grand Run with the Coronet in the show a couple of weekend ago and every other person who looked at the car asked if I had seen the "original" 69 HEMI GTX convertable on the strip? I spent two nights, walking the strip until I found it. Very nice young man from the Dallas area had brought it up. It has been in his family since the early 80s. I talked with him for some time. The car has over 90% original paint! Even seems to have the original neg battery cable! Although rough from age, the car showed just over 11,000 miles! Of course it was greeen. The car had been given to the young man by his father with the understanding that it would never be sold or restored. He is a member here and I am suprised that he has not posted the car. I would encourage him to do so. It is the most amazing GTX vert that I have ever seen being original in so many ways. The car had a very interesting history that he shared with me. Sorry no pics, it was late at night, dark, duh! and I did not have camera with me. Trust me, it was worth the whole trip just to see this car. The offers that the very nice young man had turned down were unbelievable so perhaps that is why he has not posted. He can't sell or trade the car under any circumstances due to his promise to his father. I respect that in an honorable young man, hard to find these days.

Attached picture 7400268-DSCN0320-001.JPG
Posted By: bigcountry

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 09/30/12 04:34 PM

Hello Hemi Ragtop, the one you are talking about belongs to Jcuda70 and you are correct...a very nice unrestored survivor. He and his brothers were very lucky to have a dad that had a passion for old cars.I joke with them all the time about how I could start a new tv show about bad a$$ cars and film first 20 episodes on the cars they own! PS..he drives this car often, no trailer queen.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 10/01/12 11:24 AM

If you know him, could you influence him to post some pics and the story of the car? I am shure that it would be a "hit" here.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 10/01/12 04:11 PM

Hey Hemi ragtop it was nice meeting you in Pigeon Forge I had a blast and hope to return, maybe, next year. I regretted not making it to the show and getting the opportunity to see your car. I've seen some pics of it in other posts its very nice. I've got a picture of mine in the thread higher up, and created a running list of the 11 US and 5 Canadian. In fact this thread has sparked me to do more history research on the car. Last week 9/25 I talked to the Second/Third owner (the Guy my Dad bought it from) of the car, he purchased it March of 1970 I can document the purchase date because I have the reciept from the Dallas Pound. He said when he got it he could still smell the new car scent and he confirmed that it had 12,000 original miles not 112,000 which was very cool to know. I also have the build sheet that came with the car however it is not for my car, I googled the VIN for it and it pulled up the GTX it belongs to because a dealer has it and has the VIN in the ad. So by chance I was able to contact the dealer and am going to send them a copy of the build sheet for their car.

Big Country like the country song "I was Country when Country wasn't cool" Dad was muscle cars when muscle cars weren't cool HAHA! He has had several keepers over the years and managed to hold on to most of them he had a good eye for what he was buying, though he never knew the market would take off like it did. I get the wise crack from time to time that I am too young to own an old GTX or Roadrunner but its what I know, as you know its what I was raised around.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 10/02/12 12:23 AM

Great to hear from you. I am glad that you all made it home OK. You really have a "one of a kind" and I applaud your keeping it just as it is. I was glad to find you after walking all night, the car was definatley worth it!

Lynn
Posted By: stevenjuliano

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 10/02/12 06:27 AM

Steve if the car had no build sheet or tag how to you know what it was when new ? I am thinking you talked to the first owner maybe ? interesting it came with a Sport Satellite finish panel.thats neat, bet this one had a interesting history, when you say 'trick nos parts' not sure what you mean.

yes i did speak to the original owner plus he gave me a nice clear photo of the car the day he picked it up at the dealership. i forgot to mention it did not have a woodgrain wheel as well. by trick nos parts i mean the super rare nos original stuff that i use on all my restorations. i would rather not say what was taken by one or more of the owners of the car but there is much missing. obviously the recall wheels (which i put on but were not there when new) are missing. those had rare original centers, rings, and lug nuts. also the nos redline tires are missing (again it was a whitewall car). lots more seems to have "fallen off" the car. btw i did find an nos sports satellite finish panel yet never used it. its probably buried in my attic somehwere....
Posted By: bigcountry

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 10/04/12 03:08 AM

Hey Jeremy......my phone died and I lost all my phone numbers. When you get a chance me yours please. Thanks and take care, B.C..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 04/30/13 04:11 PM

Just came across this thread as dad just got a new addition to the family. Traded our 70 el Camino SS 396 plus some cash for a T3 Honey Bronze 69 GTX vert. As soon as they come back from NH with the car, I will be sure to add the info for the registry.

The place that was selling the car said that there were only about 50 of the 69 GTX verts painted in the Honey Bronze. Any way of proving that? Its a 440 auto console car with tan interior and black top.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 04/30/13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Just came across this thread as dad just got a new addition to the family. Traded our 70 el Camino SS 396 plus some cash for a T3 Honey Bronze 69 GTX vert. As soon as they come back from NH with the car, I will be sure to add the info for the registry.

The place that was selling the car said that there were only about 50 of the 69 GTX verts painted in the Honey Bronze. Any way of proving that? Its a 440 auto console car with tan interior and black top.

Brian are you saying you gave them your El Camino plus cash or they gave you cash??

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 04/30/13 11:56 PM

traded el camino plus a small amount of cash = GTX convert
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/01/13 07:40 PM

There's no way to determine how many T3 cars were built.
Posted By: RagtopHemiGTX

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 07/05/13 01:33 AM

Rick - Hey, that's me! I had a login here at one time, but haven't used it for awhile, so it must've been purged.

The car is retired from the track as of 2005. It was an NHRA Super Stock car from day one. Column shift auto with radio delete. It now does local car shows and cruise nights when time allows.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 07/06/13 04:42 PM

Great to see this post revived, 69' GTX convertables are one of my favorite subjects! Here are some photos taken with my cheap phone of the car from Texas that I ran into while attending the Grand Run in Pigeon Forge TN two years ago.

Attached picture 7767206-69GTXconvertableengine2.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 07/07/13 01:04 PM

Photo of the engine in the 69'

Attached picture 7768016-69GTXconvertableengine.jpg
Posted By: magnumcharger

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 02/28/14 04:57 AM

The John Petrie Hemi GTX convertible, raced by team member Paul Paterson. Sold to racer Don Cloake and rolled during a race in St. Thomas, Ontario. It seems to have disappeared since then.

Attached picture 8055395-JohnPetrieGTXcollage.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 02/28/14 05:15 PM

Quote:

The John Petrie Hemi GTX convertible, raced by team member Paul Paterson. Sold to racer Don Cloake and rolled during a race in St. Thomas, Ontario. It seems to have disappeared since then.

I believe there was a thread on here about John Petrie and this car burned up while being trailered if I remember right.
Posted By: artie717

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/16/14 01:56 PM

I have a a34 ,b5 blue w/black int and top 440,4 speed will add pics of tag asap,car came out of upstate new York,middletown.
Posted By: pats1969gtx

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/21/14 12:13 AM

I sold my 1969 GTX convertible at Barrett-Jackson in 2006. Greenlight collectibles made it one of the Barrett-Jackson collector series (model). As stated by Barrett-Jackson, It was the world record sale for 1969 GTX convertible 440 car (162K). It was a unrestored survivor. 1 of 4 dealer demo's produced, And the only dealer demo know to exist.It did go to the museum in Germany. It was on a mink farm in northern Minnesota. It was also at Mopar's in the park. The GTX is saddle bronze metallic with black top not white. GUT CAR? Not sure what that means. Certified and inspected by Galen. In his own words " Excellent example of a unrestored survivor in very good condition". Featured in Mopar's Collector Guide Magazine. Also Awarded Best Original Muscle car at Carcraft Summer Nationals.

Attached picture 8150452-GTXBJ3.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/21/14 04:51 AM

How do you know it was a dealer demo?

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/21/14 05:06 AM

on the b'cast sheet "Y13" = dealer demo

& "GUT" is referring to the interior: white gut, tan gut, black gut, etc.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/21/14 12:36 PM

So if that was only on the broadcast sheet, how do they know for certain since every broadcast sheet possibly never made it into that car?
Posted By: sauterd

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/02/14 06:01 PM

hi all,

i am also interested in finding out about any other 69 GTX converts there are out there. Particularly scorch red ones and 4-speeds. that's what mine is. I'd also appreciate any information on it at all. (good bad and ugly included) I'm sure i paid too much for it in late 2009, but took a chance on how the market would go and really wanted a white interior/red and 4-speed, so figure there aren't too many that come for sale, though I did see the one on Ebay (super nicer than mine) go for 55K this is the same car. (sorry if I am repeating any info from previous posts, i had a pretty good look first, but may have missed something)
http://www.turnerautomotive.com/1969_gtx_red_vert.htm

I bought mine from Glyn Ferrell in Missouri and it was briefly at Fastlane Cars in MO. unfortunately it was not "super" work done on the car, but I "think" for the most part it's pretty solid underneath. It is non numbers matching and is missing the radiator support as it's been replaced. however the numbers match on the trunk lip. I'm open to open and honest comments on it. you may not be able to see this on my page but i have this info as well.here is a link to mine.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1361580@N24/

"This is my GTX convertible. Would love to hear from others who own one or who has interest in them. I am also trying to find the previous owner, Glora M Beck of Alma, IL. If anyone has any contact info, that would be appreciated."

one guy on ebay said that Govier claimed there were only 25 '69 4 speeds left in existence, but I assume that meant that only 25 were "registered" any info is appreciated. thanks.

thanks, Dale
Greenville, NC

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/02/14 06:33 PM

is this the Hemi CONVT that's advertised for sale on his page for 175K?

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/02/14 06:44 PM

sorry, this was referring to the post above that said that someone forgot one from Restoration by Julius....it blue, white interior, like the one below. anyone know if this one sold? as if i could afford it...

http://www.rbyj.com/for-sale/

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 02:46 AM

Julius had the blue/white HEMI 4-speed GTX convertible on display at Fall Fling last weekend.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 04:04 AM

Quote:

sorry, this was referring to the post above that said that someone forgot one from Restoration by Julius....it blue, white interior, like the one below. anyone know if this one sold? as if i could afford it...

http://www.rbyj.com/for-sale/

I beleive this is the car that Dave from Ma had, it was found in a WV junkyard, he sold it to Julius, the car is B5 with a white gut,(I got a copy of the FT from Dave) strange that Julius ad says its B7 with a white and blue gut,

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 04:24 AM

Got pics? I'm betting, NO!

Car does not have it's original fender tag & did NOT have a tag when Dave had it/found it. He and/or Galen set up the tag info that was posted with Dave's HEMI GTX 'vert find story in a NHOA newsletter decades ago. I personally saw original paint parts off the car & pictures use to be on the "RbyJ" website of the disassembled car. IMO it was originally B7 - "Jamaica blue metallic".

YES, it was claimed to be "B5" in the NHOA story.
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 05:49 AM

Are all the Hemi Verts accounted for?? Several years ago at the Detroit Autorama there was a 69 Hemi GTX that I believe was painted in T7 with a matching color interior..I know I have photos somewhere..

oopppsss just looked..its a 68..And its gold..

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 05:58 AM

There was a T7 hemi GTX vert that was out at Carlisle last year that was poorly restored. I wonder if that was the same one.

I am compiling a registry for the 69 GTX verts and so far I have a total of 16 in the registry. Anyone who would like to share their info would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 06:03 AM

Quote:

Are all the Hemi Verts accounted for??

I know of one 69 GTX HEMI vert in upstate NY....been off the radar for decades, it's currently welded on a 4X4 chassis,...the current owner has plans on a full resto, original driveline long gone, but the body is mostly intact, tags still present

IIRC only 5 cars are accounted for?

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 06:04 AM

Of the 16 built (min.): 11 U.S. (5 4-spd/6 auto) & 5 CANADA, at least 7 are accounted for, a couple are known destroyed, & a few are MIA.

U.S.
black 4-spd
blue 4-spd
green auto
tan auto
red auto
CANADA
silver auto
green auto

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 06:06 AM

Quote:

oopppsss just looked..its a 68..And its gold..

with a green interior

Quote:

Steves GTX was the 68 press vehicle used in the January 68 Car Craft, February 68 Car Life, March 68 Popular Hot Rodding and September 68 Car Life. Its also a one-of-36 Hemi convertiblehopefully the only one that is gold with a green interior. The car recently won its class in the prestigious Meadowbrook Hall Concours dElegance, but Steve has a standing offer to Car Craft to drive the car from Detroit to Los Angeles, as they did in 1968.

Steve did drive the car from LA to Detroit, IIRC it was covered in HOT ROD.

Attached picture 8319809-1968_plymouth_gtx+front_side_view.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 06:19 AM

Quote:

Of the 16 built (min.): 11 U.S. (5 4-spd/6 auto) & 5 CANADA, at least 7 are accounted for, a couple are known destroyed, & a few are MIA.

U.S.
black 4-spd
blue 4-spd
green auto
tan auto
red auto
CANADA
silver auto
green auto

The one hemi I have in the registry is T7 bronze.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 06:27 AM

[Mr. Mom]"bronze, tan whatever it takes"[/Mr. Mom]

Attached picture 8319834-RS27J9G237827.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 06:39 AM

could very well have been that same one. The one I saw in the one building out at Carlisle had the 3 speaker dash and if I recall correctly had the hood pins too.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 06:56 AM

same car

Attached picture 8319853-mopartsrs27j9gDSC08151.jpg

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 08:49 AM

Poorly restored is an understatement, He did say he would sell it for $300K....LOL

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 08:54 AM

I gotta say seeing that car at Carlisle made me cringe. A car that could be such a fine car was restored by a person who specialized in GM cars. You could even tell that the car was done by a GM guy as it had a braided ground cable from the fireall to the engine. The door latches were painted body color. The T7 was the wrong shade (it seemed too dark). The dash paint was way too thick and not the special suede finish to the paint. Another guy who owns a 69 GTX vert and I were giving the guy pointers on what needed to be done to bring it back to OE type condition and in order for it to be done, the entire car would have had to be totally redone. I even seem to recall the black painted part of the pedals were painted the T7 body color.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 02:40 PM

Quote:

Got pics? I'm betting, NO!

Car does not have it's original fender tag & did NOT have a tag when Dave had it/found it. He and/or Galen set up the tag info that was posted with Dave's HEMI GTX 'vert find story in a NHOA newsletter decades ago. I personally saw original paint parts off the car & pictures use to be on the "RbyJ" website of the disassembled car. IMO it was originally B7 - "Jamaica blue metallic".

YES, it was claimed to be "B5" in the NHOA story.

No pics, Dave just sent me the info he said was on the tag, hummm, thanks for clearing that up

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 03:24 PM

so, just curious, since the fender tag was missing, has this been verified as a "real" Hemi. I assume it has, just asking.

Dale

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 03:26 PM

I'd say as long as the partial VIN stampings are still on the rad support and trunk drip rail and haven't been replaced / grafted in with new metal and it all matches the VIN on the dash, that it would be an original hemi car.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 03:35 PM

ok, thanks, makes sense.

Dale

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE (CLARIFICATION - 11/03/14 03:41 PM

hi all, i just noticed my post was a bit confusing , so i tried to fix it be editing it. to make clear this is the one that sold for 55K on Ebay, very nice car, much nicer than mine

http://www.turnerautomotive.com/1969_gtx_red_vert.htm

and this is my car from when it was at Fastlane Cars for a while in St. Louis.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1361580@N24/

sorry for any confusion.
Dale

a few more from Ebay *DELETED* - 11/03/14 06:17 PM

Post deleted by sauterd

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 07:17 PM

The problem with linking eBay auctions: the links will be NO good in a couple weeks. & they don't belong in the restoration forum - that's what the WIW/eBay forum is for.

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 07:28 PM

ok, sorry, I'm new at this (as you can probably tell)

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 07:30 PM

all gone now...if there's anything else i need to know please let me know. and i will read the help/info pages as well.
thanks

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 07:35 PM

I think Dale was just posting them to show what was still out there and around so we have them for the registry.

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 07:39 PM

thanks, Brian. pretty much, but i should have read the rules better. I "think" there may be a few others that I know of that aren't on the forum (not in Ebay) would it be helpful for me to post something on these to assist with the registry? It's probably just a few.

Dale

more info - 11/03/14 07:57 PM

hi all, probably what I should have said is I may know where a few ended up or are now for sale, just by looking online, but not sure if that's very important. if so, i can post what i can remember.

also, you may already be doing this, but is there a way to work with
www.plymouthgtx.net on the registry?

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 09:07 PM

Quote:

thanks, Brian. pretty much, but i should have read the rules better. I "think" there may be a few others that I know of that aren't on the forum (not in Ebay) would it be helpful for me to post something on these to assist with the registry? It's probably just a few.

Dale

Dale,

You have my direct email address. You can email it to me there. This way there is no problems with the site or the thread.
Posted By: bebeep1969

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 09:24 PM

Quote:

Poorly restored is an understatement, He did say he would sell it for $300K....LOL

Mike. I believe he said 500K. Which is even more

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 11/03/14 11:26 PM

If it's the same car the tan with tan int Hemi car was once owned by Rene Deslisle( sp ck )
Rene sold the car to a Phil Jackson in Mo.
Phil sold the car to a Nick S in Pa .
Last I heard about the car it was back on the market due to this Nick S was in bad health .

When I was trying to buy the car ( late 90's ) it was in the high $40 low $50k price range.
We were trying to make a partial trade with my 4 spd GTX and cash. But before I could get it don ,,Phil J sold the car.
When I was after the car it had never had a 'restoration' so to speak. more of a sprucing up over time.

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 11:35 PM

Quote:

ok, sorry, I'm new at this (as you can probably tell)

Dale,

I looked at a red with white int 4 spd car in northern Indiana in the south Bend area about 1992 ??? Same guy had a blue with blue int 69 Roadrunner vert with factory air. He bought both cars in southern Ca,,,,,and had them shipped to his parents house which is where I looked at them

That particular GTX had a sticker on the windshield from the south western Indiana area.
440 4 spd , white int, manual drum brakes. Master cyl was out on the car and I was afraid to drive it home like that. and at the price point we were at it wasn't cost effective at the time to have it shipped home.

About the same time frame I looked at a second R6 GTX vert in the Columbus Ohio area but it had a tan / white interior ,,,also 4 spd car

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 11:40 PM

hi, bill t hanks for the post. do you think it may have been the same car?

also, do you recall any major rust (quarters, etc) , including any on the "key components" of the unibody "frame" such as frame rails, etc.?
thanks.
Dale

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 11:46 PM

Quote:

hi, bill t hanks for the post. do you think it may have been the same car?

also, do you recall any major rust (quarters, etc) , including any on the "key components" of the unibody "frame" such as frame rails, etc.?
thanks.
Dale

From 'what I remember' the car was pretty solid and would have came home with me had the brakes not been an issue.
I was told I could drive it home so we didn't take a trailer with us. It was advertised in Hemmings when I saw it.

Re: a few more from Ebay - 11/03/14 11:47 PM

ok, thanks a lot, Bill.

mine also has a console, AM/FM, and power steering, but I realize that was a while back when you saw it.

Dale

Ex-Skater Nicky Diamonds Buys a 1969 Plymouth GTX - 11/05/14 02:50 PM

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ex-skater-nicky-diamonds-buys-a-1969-plymouth-gtx-87254.html

another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 01/06/15 06:08 PM

another live one (think it's changed hands a few times lately, auction, etc.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-GTX-GTX...%3D121537353785

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 01/07/15 08:28 AM

Thanks. I actually had this one in the registry however, I just got all of the fender tag codes for it also. The car was originally a T5 Bronze and had a white and tan interior. Looks like someone took some liberties with the car over its life like a color change and also went to an all tan interior instead of a white and tan which would have looked really good I think.

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 01/07/15 02:13 PM

thanks brian,
saw this one today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-GTX-2-D...=US_Cars_Trucks

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 01/07/15 03:00 PM

Yup, got that one in the registry too. I'm curious why they changed the factory black interior to a black and tan interior. Total of 19 cars so far in the registry.

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 01/07/15 05:14 PM

ok, great, Brian, way to go. how many are 4-speeds vs. automatic?

Dale

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 01/07/15 08:23 PM

As of right now, I have 4 in the registry that have the 4 spds. The others, except for 3 which are unknown trans at this time, are the automatics. The three unknowns, all I have is the VIN for them so far.

Brian

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 01/07/15 09:42 PM

thanks, Brian

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 03/07/15 02:21 PM

Hi again all,

I ran across this from an old Ebay auction and wondered if you guys think this "could" be accurate. I assume there's no way to really know, which made me wonder why the person stated it, but here it is.
thanks
Dale

First of all they only made 178 - 4 Speed Convertibles, "Out of those numbers only 11 were R6 Red"

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 03/08/15 03:02 AM

Dale,

In 69 there was no break down for exterior color paint as to how many came painted what color. I think that started in 70. However, like you, we were told that our 69 GTX vert with 440 and auto, was "about 1 of 50 painted in the T3 Honey Bronze color" but there is no way to prove it yet. I am compiling a list and a registry of what 69 GTX verts are left known to exist with who has a fender tag, window sticker, and/or broadcast sheet. So far the yellow seems to be most popular color. Ours is the only T3 Honey Bronze in the list so far though.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 03/08/15 08:00 AM

There's only one surefire way to know, but not on a '69 - if it had buffed silver paint, chances are there are numbers.
Posted By: BS27R1B

Re: another live one (think it's changed hands a few times - 03/08/15 04:36 PM

I used to own the Canadian A4 69 Hemi GTX Convertible. Shortly after I bought the car out of western Canada I was talking with Don Cloake and he told me the 69 Hemi GTX ragtop they had in the race program was also a silver car and it had burned when very new. Subsequently the photos of the car indicate it could gave been white and it fell off a trailer at some point. It may have burned after that for some reason.
Rene's 69 GTX ragtop was a bondo bucket, typical of a car that was driven in Canadian winters.
The VINs of the Canadian 69 Hemi GTX convertibles are known and have been published. Colours are silver, green, bronze and silver or white. The fifth one I do not know. I will dig out the VINs and list them.
The one I owned has been fully restored by the current owner and is an awesome car. NOM, but sheet and tag. Hemi, column auto, ps, pdb, ow, white top, AM radio, performance hood treatment, 3.23, SG,black buckets, red side stripe.

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/08/15 07:01 PM

My 69 GTX Convertible was one of 178 440 4speed but also one of 33 with Super Track Pack.
This was an original Y2 car with Black top/Interior.
Ron

Attached picture 8453399-69GTXMAG1.jpg

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/08/15 07:02 PM

page 2

Attached picture 8453400-69GTXMAG2.jpg

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/08/15 07:03 PM

page 3

Attached picture 8453402-69GTXMAG3.jpg

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/08/15 07:08 PM

page 4

Attached File
8453410-69GTXFENDERTAG.pdf  (142 downloads)

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/09/15 03:03 PM

thanks for all the great info, guys.

Dale
Posted By: Row_your_own

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/10/15 02:28 AM

There is a 68 or 69 GTX that's in my town that I first saw around 86-87. B5 blue with a black roof and gut. 4-speed. I see it once or twice a year but have never spoken to the gentleman. Based on tone, it's got a cam. Also has a deep oil pan. Magnum 500's all around. Hope to see him this year so I can get a better look at the car.

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/10/15 03:07 AM

If that is a 69 GTX vert, please see if you can get any info on the car or info on the fender tag so I can add it to the registry. Larry was kind enough to give me his info as I did not have his car in the registry. We are now up to 24 known cars to exist out of the last knonwn number from 2002 which was 47. Great number considering I haven't been collecting info for that long. Thanks to everyone who has helped and contributed to it!
Posted By: dart1962_440

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/10/15 01:43 PM

Quote:

If that is a 69 GTX vert, please see if you can get any info on the car or info on the fender tag so I can add it to the registry. Larry was kind enough to give me his info as I did not have his car in the registry. We are now up to 24 known cars to exist out of the last knonwn number from 2002 which was 47. Great number considering I haven't been collecting info for that long. Thanks to everyone who has helped and contributed to it!

Curious, a GTX registry or B-Body convertible registry?

Thanks

Pat

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/10/15 02:03 PM

The registry I am compiling is for 69 GTX vert's only at this time

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/10/15 03:37 PM

Brian did you put my old car in it?
Information above^
Ron

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/10/15 08:44 PM

Ron,

PM me your email address.

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/11/15 05:50 AM

This is the one I used to own.

Attached picture 8456184-fendertag.JPG

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/11/15 11:29 AM

Looks like I have another two to add to the registry! This is the first A4 car now in the registry. How long ago did you own this car and do you possibly know where it is today? Do you have any pictures of the car? A4 must have been a killer color on this with a black top and black interior!

Ron,

I just saw the 4th attachment on the previous page and saw the fender tag info. I did not have your car in the registry but will now !

We are now up to 26 ! Thanks again for everyones help ! I really appreciate it !

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/11/15 05:29 PM

I sold the car as a project in 2006. It is fully restored now and is probably one of the best Hemi GTX convertibles out there. The engine was stolen in the early 70s so it is NOM. The GTX came with a white convertible top. I have a copy of the sheet somewhere.
The car is still here in Canada and the owner is pretty happy to keep it at this point. I will try and find some photos.

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/11/15 05:46 PM

Excellent. Thanks again. Any information you have on it I would love to add to the registry, even if it is something as simple as a VIN. I was able to get the fender tag info at a later point and associate it to a VIN I had in the registry already.

With such a limited production car (only 700 made) I would love to try and get a fairly accurate number of how many of these amazing cars are still around. Like I said, the last count was in 2002 and there were 47 left known to exist. With 13 years gone by, who knows what might have been left to rot away or gotten into an accident and been totaled out.

With all this information that I am compiling, it should give us a pretty good estimate as to what cars might have been equipped with what for some kind of ratio.

Re: a few more from Ebay - 03/11/15 06:22 PM

I know of a local one that is blue now but was originally bronze, I believe. In the St. Louis area.
There is actually a 1967 b5 blue 4 speed, my dads 68 b5 blue 4 speed, and that 1969 gtx auto here within 10 miles of each other.
I just bought a 68 Sport satellite convertible off here and was going to be "that guy" to make it a gtx, but I have to sell it.

EDIT: I also want to say that there was a 1969 for sale at a local classic car place, but doesn't show up on their website anymore. It was Fastlane Classic Cars in St. Charles MO. I'll have to look through my old phone to see if I have pictures.

69 GTX vert registry.... - 03/12/15 05:14 AM

Thanks again for everyone's help ! I just added 3 more to the registry and I am now up to 27 known. Not too bad considering the last known to exist count was 13 years ago and had 47 at the time.

Of those :

3 are hemi cars
7 are 4 spds

Re: 69 GTX vert registry.... - 03/12/15 06:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks again for everyone's help ! I just added 3 more to the registry and I am now up to 27 known. Not too bad considering the last known to exist count was 13 years ago and had 47 at the time.

Of those :

3 are hemi cars
7 are 4 spds

Found a picture. It's from March of 2014. 69, sunfire yellow with tan interior was sitting at Fastlane Classic Cars.

Re: 69 GTX vert registry.... - 03/12/15 07:51 AM

do you have a VIN or anything else to set the car apart from others?

Re: 69 GTX vert registry.... - 03/12/15 11:48 AM

All I have is one picture of the yellow one. I will try to get you vin info of the bronze (now blue) '69 that is local.

Attached picture 8457302-image.jpg

Re: 69 GTX vert registry.... - 03/12/15 12:23 PM

I do have one in the registry with a similar exterior / interior color combo and a 440 / auto combination. I have limited info on it with only the VIN and the other info I posted. I still need to get the fender tag options off of it.

Re: 69 GTX vert registry.... - 03/13/15 08:06 PM

hey Brian, sorry if I missed them in your list, but I don't "think" you have these.

http://www.moparsonsale.com/mopars-for-sale/l0480.php

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1969-PLYMOUTH-GTX-CONVERTIBLE-81547

Re: 69 GTX vert registry.... - 03/13/15 08:13 PM

Have you ever tried hooking up with David Smith from the Detroit area? David had been compiling a GTX Registry in the early 90s late 80s.
I will see if I still have contact information for him.

Re: 69 GTX vert registry.... - 03/13/15 08:52 PM

Hi Dale,

I did not have either of those. Thanks. I'll add them to the registry.

I was not aware of Dave Smith. If you could PM me his info if you find it I would greatly appreciate it.

Registry is now up to 31 cars! Some of the newly acquired are VIN numbers only but at least that still gives us some info about the engine size.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/13/15 09:56 PM

Quote:

I have found that if the car is an early production, they could have had the "Chrome" road wheels as they would have used up the left over inventory such as the same with the black door handle button vs. the chrome button and chrome shifter knob instead of the wood grain knob. I've also seen a more squared off fender turn signal vs. the bullet style. A friend of mine has a car that is about two weeks before the SPO date of our car and his has the squared off turn signal vs. our rounded bullet style.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/14/15 01:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have found that if the car is an early production, they could have had the "Chrome" road wheels as they would have used up the left over inventory such as the same with the black door handle button vs. the chrome button and chrome shifter knob instead of the wood grain knob. I've also seen a more squared off fender turn signal vs. the bullet style. A friend of mine has a car that is about two weeks before the SPO date of our car and his has the squared off turn signal vs. our rounded bullet style.

That could be true but I dont think that is the reason very often you see them with 68 wheels, look on ebay and over half of 69 b bodies dont have the correct wheels. lots have 68 wheels.
Posted By: 5571

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/14/15 01:44 AM

there is a silver blue one a past co-worker of mine has since he was young (I still run into him). He does not advertise he has it. Its a 440 with black interior and top. Just sits in his garage. Add that to your list. I always tried to get the car from him, gave up. Its been so long, I cant remember if its a 4spd or auto, think its an auto. Non original motor, from what I remember. I can find out if you want me too.

Here is another one (a 4spd, been here a while)
http://www.specialtysales.com/vehicles/1099

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/14/15 01:50 AM

Quote:

That could be true but I dont think that is the reason very often you see them with 68 wheels, look on ebay and over half of 69 b bodies dont have the correct wheels. lots have 68 wheels.

I think the reasoning behind you seeing the chrome rims is that they are cheaper than replacing the rims plus finding the correct trim rings as they are a one year only trim ring for 1969.
Posted By: blue69x

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/14/15 03:29 AM

Hello all, neat thread. I have a B5 69 X convert that I have had since 1982. I purchased it from Nick Satenstein in PA. (He was one of the owners of the bronze hemi ragtop that was discussed earlier) I bought the GTX while I was in college and restored it when I got out. Finished in 1988 with as many NOS parts as were available at the time. We have driven it to many Mopar Nationals events, my wedding, brought the kids home from the hospital in it, and other cool life events. It is a black interior, with console 4 speed. AM/FM, Airgrabber, disc brakes. It was featured in 1994 Mopar Action and used for the Ertl die cast model. It still had the build sheet and fender tag, but the original engine was already gone. It is showing it's age, but we are still having fun with it. Thanks for putting the list of cars together. Chris

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/14/15 03:39 AM

Hi Chris,

I'd love to add your car to the registry. I'll send you a PM !

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/14/15 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think the reasoning behind you seeing the chrome rims is that they are cheaper than replacing the rims plus finding the correct trim rings as they are a one year only trim ring for 1969.

Correct, those trim rings (2944161)could be about the hardest part to find for these cars, you rarely see them come up for sale, if you do see a 69 with trim rings 9 out of ten times they are not the correct ones.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/14/15 08:54 PM

I agree. I have probably close to 30 (varying conditions) if not more of them as spares since I restored a set of 4 of them for my 69 Charger. I have another set on my road wheels with radial tires which are decent for a driver but not suitable for a pristine show car. Looks like I will have to restore another set for Dad's car now and hopefully he can get the chrome road wheels for his radial redlines when he gets them.

Whenever I am at a swap meet, I always look out for them as I usually purchase them in whatever condtion as long as I can restore them at some point. Sadly, no one has reproduced these trim rings. Although they were a one year only item, they were used throughout the Mopar line as any body style car that had these (A, B, and C bodies) used this trim ring if they had gotten the road wheels.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/15/15 02:53 PM

What size trim ring are you looking for? If it is a 14", I have a dozen ORIGINAL 69 rings in OK to great condition.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Correct, those trim rings (2944161)could be about the hardest part to find for these cars, you rarely see them come up for sale, if you do see a 69 with trim rings 9 out of ten times they are not the correct ones.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/15/15 11:26 PM

I'll have to check how tall they are.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 03/16/15 06:33 PM

Its about 2 1/4" tall.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/18/15 02:40 PM

Hi all,

Thought I’d get your thoughts and opinions.

I was putting my top up and down on my GTX over the weekend, and it went up and back down once with no problem. then on the second try it got stuck right “straight up.” There was instantly no power. Can you tell me what things to look for and a “worst case” scenario on cost (I guess that would be a bad motor?) thanks a lot…

Dale

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/26/15 04:42 AM

Dale,

I know we talked on the phone but did you ever find out what the problem was?

PS - Still looking for cars to add to the 1969 GTX convertible registry ! Please contact me either by a reply on here or a PM !

Brian

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/02/15 01:33 PM

Hey Brian, no, hadn't been able to take it to the shop yet, will be out of town here for a few weeks, so probably later on I will. thanks for asking, I'll let you know and keep an eye out for more GTX convertibles....

Dale

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/02/15 05:48 PM

Isn't there a large relay that plugs into the fusebox to control the top operation? Been awhile so just working off memory or what's left f it!!!!LOL
Ron

Re: 69 GTX vert registry.... - 06/03/15 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By sauterd

In my Convertible GTX between the springs and the padding (in the back seat) the build sheet that was in my car was for the one on moparsforsale.com ( RS27L9G172362 ) I sent a very high quality photo copy framed to the dealer that was selling it and never have heard whether it made it to the car. I'm not sure if the car is still for sale, it is still listed. I of course would love to know if that car had my build sheet as I only have the one that came with my car not the one for my car. That car was a North east car all of its life mine is a Dallas car all of its life there is no chance the seats were swapped accidently except at the factory.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/03/15 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By 69x
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't know this I have wondered why mine has the chrome shifter knob vs the wood grain knob and sure enough I have the black button I believe my car pulled off of the dealer lot early December of '68
Posted By: hector

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/03/15 08:08 PM

smile Hello, pardon the intrusion; I used to own this '69 GTX vert bronze colored console 4-speed; 3:54 Dana: RS27L9G143955 - sold it and went to Kingman,Az. back in 2004 or so-was here in Texas
Hector

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/04/15 12:39 PM

Jcuda70,

The chrome shifter knob vs. the wood grain is an early / late production. They used up the inventory at the factory of the 68 style chrome shifter knobs and then phased in the wood grain ones. Same goes for the Chrome Magnum 500 wheels and then phased in the 69 style Road Wheels with the trim rings.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/04/15 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By resq302
Jcuda70,

The chrome shifter knob vs. the wood grain is an early / late production. They used up the inventory at the factory of the 68 style chrome shifter knobs and then phased in the wood grain ones. Same goes for the Chrome Magnum 500 wheels and then phased in the 69 style Road Wheels with the trim rings.
I have never heard this about the wheels being 'phased' in before. do you have anything to support this ?

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/04/15 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By 69x
Jcuda70,

I have never heard this about the wheels being 'phased' in before. do you have anything to support this ?

I'd have to see proof on the wheels too before believing this.
The door buttons are a long known fact as are the shifter knobs.
Ron

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/04/15 06:33 PM

I have no idea what wheels came on mine the second owner put Mickey Thompson (crager ss knockoffs) on it.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/04/15 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By jcuda70
I have no idea what wheels came on mine the second owner put Mickey Thompson (crager ss knockoffs) on it.
If you have a Build Sheet it will tell you

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/09/15 02:42 PM

Why would the factory not use the left over all chrome Magnum rims until that supply was used up? Would it have made financial sense for Chrysler to just sit on those full chrome rims instead of putting them on the cars like they did with the black buttoned door handles and the chrome shift knobs? I see no reason why Chrysler wouldn't have done this. As long as it did not effect the fit or the function of the part, they changed out stuff all the time just to keep the assembly line moving.

I'm sure if we searched hard enough, we will come across some late 68 dated chrome Magnum rims that were installed on some early 69 model year cars.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/09/15 04:19 PM

Why would the factory not use the left over all chrome Magnum rims until that supply was used up? Would it have made financial sense for Chrysler to just sit on those full chrome rims instead of putting them on the cars like they did with the black buttoned door handles and the chrome shift knobs? I see no reason why Chrysler wouldn't have done this. As long as it did not effect the fit or the function of the part, they changed out stuff all the time just to keep the assembly line moving.

I'm sure if we searched hard enough, we will come across some late 68 dated chrome Magnum rims that were installed on some early 69 model year cars.
Then start searching, again I have never heard or seen anything on this, never, unless facts are found I wont believe it

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/09/15 04:29 PM

I recall and I cannot remember where a story about a guy who ordered a RR or a GTX very early in the model year, he told the salesman he liked the 68 wheels better, the salesman said he could swap them out when the car came in with ones they had in stock, so he placed his order and thats what they did.

If they were avaiable the car would would of came with them.

Again not from the factory, a door botton you hardly notice, wheels you would really notice.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 06/09/15 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By 69x
I recall and I cannot remember where a story about a guy who ordered a RR or a GTX very early in the model year, he told the salesman he liked the 68 wheels better, the salesman said he could swap them out when the car came in with ones they had in stock, so he placed his order and thats what they did.

If they were avaiable the car would would of came with them.

Again not from the factory, a door botton you hardly notice, wheels you would really notice.

I have to side with this thought from what I saw growing up. Mind you I was 10-11 in 69/70 but I had my head in all the new cars I could at the local dealers and read everything I could. I think I believed I was a CAR at the time. I look at it this way, in 1972 I haven't seen any documented cars with 71 center caps. I know my neighbor worked at a dealership and told me stories of the salesman would swap anything he could within reason after the car came off the truck to make a sale.
Ron

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 08/26/15 06:29 AM

Here is one that popped up on Facebook.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 08/26/15 06:38 PM

Thanks. I was actually talking to Brenda Walls this weekend at E-town and she told me about her husbands car. I also got leads on two more possible ones where I gave them my info to give to their friends. Hopefully it pans out. Right now, I have 37 in the registry.
Posted By: Robert G

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/01/16 01:12 PM

I came across this post tonight and enjoyed the reading. A member mentioned a green Minnesota car that had a cb call number on the bumper and the owner was selling it for a cabin down payment. I think I eventually ended up with that car but not from that owner. I bought the car in 1984 from my neighbor in Minneapolis. It was a numbers matching 440 auto car with the chrome shift knob. I ended up selling the car in 1997 to a buddy and the he sold it to someone out in PA through a Hemmings add. I will look up to see if I have the VIN still. I have some info for the current owner and would like to fill in some history on the car for the current owner. At some point, now that I am better off financially now than when I sold the car, I may look at purchasing another. Thanks to everyone for your tenacity and work you are doing on these great automobiles.

Re: 69 gtx CONVERTIBLE - 05/01/16 07:14 PM

Robert, I am the person who looked at that car, I sent you a PM

Originally Posted By Robert G
I came across this post tonight and enjoyed the reading. A member mentioned a green Minnesota car that had a cb call number on the bumper and the owner was selling it for a cabin down payment. I think I eventually ended up with that car but not from that owner. I bought the car in 1984 from my neighbor in Minneapolis. It was a numbers matching 440 auto car with the chrome shift knob. I ended up selling the car in 1997 to a buddy and the he sold it to someone out in PA through a Hemmings add. I will look up to see if I have the VIN still. I have some info for the current owner and would like to fill in some history on the car for the current owner. At some point, now that I am better off financially now than when I sold the car, I may look at purchasing another. Thanks to everyone for your tenacity and work you are doing on these great automobiles.
© 2024 Moparts Forums