Been awhile, finally got around to ordering the cam, lifters, cam bearings, and a bunch of other stuff.
Today, I put the cam bearing in. I used the slotted cam trick, but this time I made sure the slots were nice and sharp without burrs.
Washed the block and installed the crank and cam with the #1 piston for checking TDC (no rings on it yet.) The crank key was a bit too tall not allowing the timing chain sprocket to go on all the way, so I had to fix that before I could degree the cam. Installed the cam straight up and it centerlined right at 108 degrees. Comp cams recommends 106. I have the 440 source timming set with the roller thrust washer, and multi-key crank gear, so advancing the cam should be easy.
I have been thinking of installing the cam at 104 degrees, but not sure if it will make much difference?
Anyhow, I do have to say I like the 440 source timing set. This is the second one I have used and they fit nice with no slack in the chain.
I also started mocking up the stealth heads. The Comp XR286HR-10 Hydraulic roller cam needs a bit different spring, so I am swapping out the springs retainers and locks.
Comp recommends their 925-16 springs, but I am using the Isky 8005A springs. The Isky springs are 400#/in compared to 395#/in of the comps, with about the same seat pressure. Installed at 1.880" they should be about 130# on the seat.
The retainers are Comp 748-16 10-degree retainers. They are standard height and fit the springs well.
The 10-degree comp 611-16 are also standard height 11/16" valve stem locks.
The stock Install height of the stealth retainers /locks was 1.83", and just swapping the new retainers/locks the install height went to 1.91", so I have to use a 0.030" shim to get my 1.880" install height.
Also, now that the the retainers/locks are closer to the valve tip, my cheepie CAT stainless rockers hit the locks, so I will have to grind the tabs off or get different rockers.
That's about it for the updates, but I hope to get the rest assembled this week.