Quote:

Quote:

The journals were right on spec, just need to make sure the bearings clear the fillets at the ends of the journals.
The Main bearings that come with the kit actually have a fairly tight oil clearance spec of 0.0005" to 0.0026" (Clevite MS-1795V), that may be the reason some shops polish the mains to get more oil clearance. The GM 2.2" rod bearings have a 0.0010" to 0.0030" oil clearance spec (Clevite CB-743HN.)
My machine shop measured the 4.25" stroke crank 4.253" when measured to mill the block for zero deck? So fat i have only mocked it up for clearancing the 440 block and the crank and rods clear the cylinders easely, only close spot in the oilpump pickup boss. I took a small amount off the boss just to make sure, but it did clear, but was close before I removed the material.
So far everything is going together pretty nice and easy, except the cam bearings (in another post), and I could have gone with them as is, but I'm going to get new ones and clearance them by hand if needed, as I did not like the results from the slotted cam clearance trick as I think it removed more material then necessary.

How's the indexing?? I had one that had a journal off .035" in one direction........I sent it back, got another one, and my original was resold.......

how did the replacement crank check out?

machine shop owner and engine builder