I'm 54 now and for most of my life I was always into musclecars. And I gravitated to mopars because of how cool they looked and the fact that they were rare to see in the area I lived in. I still have my first car which is a 79 Camaro that I was able to buy because it had a straight six. My dad thought I would kill myself with a v8 as all I talked about was musclecars and he wasn't a car guy.

That car evolved quickly to a 350, 427 and then a 509. That ran 10.70's but still was nice and streetable back in the mid 90's Take that dad.

Anyway the car that really make an impression on me as a teen was the 67 Coronet. It was my dream car and to make a long story short, I was able to build my vision over the course of the early 2000's with a lot of help from the guys on Moparts.

I met my wife in 98 and lucky me she was into cars and really liked 68 chargers. So finally in 2007 we had the means to buy one that I built into a nice cruising mild mannered beast with the help of Jeff Patterson who built of very strong 406 small block that could overcome the 2.94 gears, a/c, etc... and get that car into the high 12's.

I picked up a few other vehicles to add to the collection also such as a 79 Cherokee Chief and a 64 Buick Riviera that I use as a daily driver in the summer.

When I got the Riviera in 2014 I was really looking for a solid but rough around the edges jetson's car (bubble top, finned car from the forward look era of mopars specifically the 59 dodge coronet, or one of the other makes from that space age era.) I couldn't fine one so I settled with the Riviera because it kind of had the look and because you never see them.

Fast forward to 2020, we lost the charger to a distracted driver and I really decided that I had to have a 59 Dodge. Now in my 50's I found I really loved the space age styling of these cars plus the fact the I really didn't know much about them.

I joined the groups and forums and learned all I could about them all the while searching for one of these 59's, resigning myself to having to settle for one of the rare basket cases that would come up once in awhile.

Shockingly a 59 dodge challenger came up on facebook marketplace. It really was a all black one owner top of the line 59 Custom Royal Lancer and it was only 75 miles from me. I'm thinking the only reason I got it was because it was named wrong although they did build 59 Dodge Coronet challangers in silver that were stripped down and called Spring Specials.

This car checked all the boxes for me except for not having a/c. Over the past year I've been fixing it's flaws and enjoying all the attention it gets at the shows and on the drives. It's an amazing car and is now my favorite (am I getting old) out of all my other cars. I find that I am mostly bored of muscle cars after mostly being into them all my life. (I never saw myself thinking like this) It's all about the space age styling of the late 50's, early sixtys now.

It's got a 361, push button torqueflite, swivel bucket seats, mirrormatic mirror that automatically adjusts, and other cool futuristic features.

Anyway, I'm now wondering which car I have has go to make room for another one.

88B414F2-8313-43F6-ABCC-6BF5CCF5746C.jpeg4A9146B2-6094-417D-90A7-3E0A779F9E4F.jpeg34E1F0C9-C50E-4DCF-ADE4-E1B846564D5D.jpeg57ED03EC-6571-4CDE-8698-1C274D99275B.jpeg
Last edited by rapom; 04/27/23 09:18 AM.