Thanks Rich. Yes, people and pets were fine. A little scared, but fine.

Continuing to make progress, though most folks would have a hard time telling.

Ozone generator arrived and has been put to work. Does a good job of killing smoke odor, but it comes back after a few hours. This was expected, as the smell won't go away permanently until the shop is gutted and redone.

I got insurance on an old truck I was going to work on this spring, and had it towed to a shop. It's going to cost me more, but at least it will be done. And it's in the way of towing the Chrysler out of the garage on Tuesday. Also getting info on insurance for the Chrysler.

My son and I will work on moving parts away from the Chrysler this weekend. That's a fair amount of stuff, including a fully dressed 8.75" axle with leaf springs. We'll also finish cutting that door open so the car can get out.

I took a few minutes this afternoon and raked up the small mountain of leaves that had collected under the truck. It's funny what is heavily smoke and soot damaged and what is not. Rake that was 3' from the fire? Not bad at all. Ear buds hanging on a hook 20' away? Absolutely black (they were white).

Picked up some 2.5 gal. ziploc bags last night, and will experiment with some gas mileage log book pages I had printed out and sitting on the bench in the shop. A dusting of baking soda, a piece of paper, more soda, more paper, etc. Seal it up and let it sit overnight. This seems to be about the only cure offered online for smoky paper. Books you can clean the cover. In summer, set them out in the bright sun and fresh air. But for winter in Michigan, this is all I've found. I sure hope it works, because I have a TON of paper in that garage, and I have to clean it all. It's covered by insurance, but the remediation company will not touch paper...they will just write it off as a loss. So 100 posters, 50 service manuals and parts books, a large number of reference books form college and other places, hundreds of magazines, and a lifetime of paperwork are all out there. If I want the stuff, I've got to clean it somehow.

This weekend also includes time spent in the back garage trying to create a spot for the Chrysler when it comes back (assuming it does not still smell smoky). That's bay 2, and it is currently full of parts, tool boxes, kids college stuff, bikes, tractor, push mower, etc. Not sure where I will put it all. Also cleaning out bay 3 of it's firewood debris and racks, and filling it with new totes to move the cleaned parts into. So that will be a good days worth of work for sure.

If I'm REAL ambitious, I will try to get the utility trailer out of the back corner of the shop, and park it outside (sorry '38 Ford based farm trailer). That's the spot earmarked for a pallet rack to put those containers on. That was always the long range plan. As long as I'm moving stuff around, maybe I'll try and get that trailer out of there. Then I can say that despite the fire, I made some real "progress" on finishing the back garage in 2021!

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba