Ran out last night and picked up a few battery conversion supplies. Deep tub that I can reuse for parts storage after, and if there's any "splash", it should help contain that. Kitchen gloves that reach half way up my forearms Vs my nitrile gloves. And a couple of big boxes of baking soda.

The old gal looks sorta past it. But it's been in there since the early '90s, a Turbo Start unit that lasted 8-9 years with little use and a battery tender.

[Linked Image]

I have a whole box of these cut-offs from when we built the shop in back. 3 of them should be perfect for protecting the posts when the battery is inverted.

[Linked Image]

I removed the vent caps, set her inside, and rolled her into place. Amazingly drama-free.

[Linked Image]

And out flows what's left of the acid.

[Linked Image]

Set the lid over it, but left a little room to let fumes out if needed. The caps went into a bath of baking soda and water.

[Linked Image]

After a half hour soak, they were cleaned with an old tooth brush, rinsed, and look good as new.

[Linked Image]

While the caps dried and the battery finishes dripping, I took a moment to check out the battery tray. When the battery was installed, the tray was solid, but had surface rust. It was neutralized, coated in POR-15, and sprayed over with Eastwood battery tray coating. Two layers of Battery Mat were cut to shape. The upper layer is dirty from sitting, as is the rest of the engine compartment. But no other wear or damage.

[Linked Image]

The lower mat and tray look like the day I put them in.

[Linked Image]

I'll get another hour or so out there this evening.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba