Originally Posted by DrCharles
Originally Posted by Thumperdart
I'd ditch the vacuum advance myself cos like vacuum secondary carbs, they don't belong on a performance engine imo ever......

A performance engine that also does street duty can benefit though work At WOT there's no advance anyway...

So, since last post I leaned the PMJ slightly, reduced the PMAB a hair, and also lowered the floats in both bowls 3 flats (half a turn on the nut).
Finally got a chance to take it out for a run this afternoon. I warmed it up enough to idle while trying to determine the exact source of a right front corner oil leak, drove 15 min to town (2 mi slow back roads/6 mi 60+ mph), filled back up on oxygen-free premium, idled through the automatic car wash and 15 min back home).

Current tune pri/sec:
------------------------
IFR .028/.028
IAB .078/.079
TSR .074/.074
MAB .026/.030
MJ 72/86
PV 9.5"
PVCR .059

I'm getting close. Low speed cruise (below 2000) is around 15-16. 60 mph (15"Hg.) is 14-14.5, not too bad. 50-60 mph gentle acceleration (10") doesn't change much. Brisk acceleration (5") with PV open, about 13. With the primaries open at the secondary linkage start, it's in the high 12's. Looks like one more jet size to #71 might do it!

I tried one brief blast with all four barrels open from 3000 to 4200 rpm (man, did it get there quick even in 4th!) and managed to catch a peek at the AFR dropping below 12. So the #86 secondaries are too rich, not a huge surprise since I'd expect a .059 PVCR to provide about 10-11 jet sizes worth from #72. Will drop them 2 sizes on next test.

The only remaining problem (at least until I have the nerve to run it up to 6000+) is the lean flat spot during transition. I don't have enough experience to know if it's late mains, early end of t-slot fuel, and don't want to cover it up with squirt until I've tried my best to tune it out. Frankly it doesn't bother me, I'll just push a little harder on the loud pedal and get past it!

drive

Nice!!!!!!!

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston