in my two experiences in pa. [my dad and my sister]

the state ALWAYS wants to go into probate so they can get a BIG slice of the money pie.

my dad had virtually nothing except for his car, [1999 stratus, bought from a member here] which i sold off to finish paying for his funeral. the carpenter's union paid for the majority of that expense.
his girlfriend was on his bank account, and was beneficiary of his life insurance.
he lived in her trailer, so all that was left was his cloths and some trinkets that were in the trailer.
he had a minimalistic, will, so the state was MAD that there was nothing to claim. [BOO-HOO ! laugh2]

my sister had the same basic items in her possession, with an exception. her will stated that if there was anything left over in her bank account after everything was paid, those moneys were to be given to the local animal shelter.
once again, the state had their grabby hand out, and got NOTHING ! boogie

both instances had my attorney involved, and in my opinion, turned out great for all involved.
as an aside, my attorney and i went to school together, and when i opened my junkyard in 1972, i was his first client after he graduated from law school. [he treats me really well as to his fees to this day bow]
beer