Originally Posted By 69_SIX_PACK
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By 69_SIX_PACK
Can someone take a moment to explain the "mass backing"

Dave

It's a thick rubber membrane (.060-.125) to bind the backing of the carpet loop/pile

Mike

Original carpets didn't have that did they Mike? Is that what allows the carpets to lay down better?

Dave

The mass backing is an improvement from the OE jute backing. It provides heat and noise insulation. I'm sure it isn't correct for an OEM gold restoration though.
I was out in the garage yesterday looking at my carpet the shop installed in my "money pit" project, to find the damage and flaws I read here it should have from not being "shipped flat", I could find any issues, but there must be 'cause I read it on the Internet!
While peeling it back I noticed it was jute backed. The carpet I installed in my vert last fall was mass backing. The mass backing is very nice, fit like a glove, the trimming was a bear though with the thick rubber backing. That carpet weighed a lot, the ACC shipping box must have weighed 40-50# when I picked it up off my stoop when it got delivered.
And the thickness of it is why I had trouble getting the sills installed. I won't have problems installing my NOS sills on my project car since it isn't mass backing.
The ACC jute backing isn't OEM correct either, reference the "million dollar Superbird?" article in a recent Muscle Car Review magazine where they discuss reusing the original carpet in that bird and show the original jute they reused because the stuff on currently available carpets looks much different.