I have no input in the 855 topic, but would just comment on the T56 I put in my Dakota now that I have a few hundred miles on it.

I aboslutely love it, and wish these trucks had this transmission from the factory. robust, strong, yet shifts like a light duty commuter econo car transmission.

gear ratios are perfect in my opinion. I put 4.56 gears in the axle and have tires that are just under 27" tall. first gear spins a lot on street tires driving on the street, but with some half way decent tires and track prep, it will probably spin a lot less. If I'm driving around in town, 4th gear works well below 45 mph, I can use 5th gear on rural highways up to about 55 mph, and once I'm out on the interstate, I can tool along at 73 mph while turning just 2000 rpm.

That said...I would have to think long and hard about putting a T56 into my 70 Cuda when it gets to that point. the T56 fits into my 98 Dakota without ANY sheetmetal modifications. I did a front shift relocation kit to the T56 and the shifter comes through the stock hole in the floor from the original NV3500 transmission shifter allowing me to use my stock consoles inside. All I needed to put it into the Dakota was the quicktime bell (and a custom $500 flywheel that's 130 tooth to fit the bell, while retaining the tone ring for the EFI computer) and a custom made transmission mount. I'm even using the stock transmission crossmember.

I'm not so sure I'm ready to go non-stock on the floor pan of my Cuda. even though it'll never be a high dollar collector without the build sheet or the fender tag.

**Photobucket sucks**