Ok 2 things I discovered:

1) With the fast idle cam off, and the throttle closed down to it's original position (that is, I didn't touch the idle set speed screw since pulling the carb) I looked at the transfer slot. The transfer slot that was exposed under the throttle blade was *not* square but rectangular (much to my surprise) So it looks like I need to just work on the timing then.

2) One of the secondaries was slightly gummed up with what looked like tar. Turning the primaries to WOT did not open the secondaries until I got them unstuck. If the secondaries were sticking I'm wondering if that might've contributed to my other complaint I had posted about the engine sometimes not returning to idle after running up the RPM.

So before I put the carb back on it looks like I'll need to do some cleaning....

I'll post pics later today- don't have access to my camera right now otherwise I'd include them here (and I'll take them before I start cleaning, although I already did wipe down the primary throttle a little)....

'69 Dodge Charger R/T