Quote:

Ok so after reading through this whole thread I am still a little confused as to what the actual equations are used for. I know how to get the answers but why? Am I using those to get the figures for the stock setup compared to proposed setup? I am just unsure. In particular the purpose of the area of a circle and effective radius of a rotor? I did the math for both stock and proposed. What does it mean if the stock are of a circle is 6.78inches and the propsed is 7.06inches? Same with the Effective radius? Stock is 5.07 and proposed is 6.23. I just don't know. Also are there any braking books out there that are a must read? I am in Kuwait right now and will be returning back to the states within the next 2 weeks so if there are any recommended readings out there please share.

It's not too difficult to overcome a tire's friction with the ground. A basic brake package will do that.
When you get by going to larger brakes is the heat dissipation for repetitive stops. You also gain better feel over the brake function. In another thread I described it as tightening a bolt with a long wrench or a short one. You can break the bolt with either wrench but it's easier to feel the torque with the longer one. It's easier to feel and modulate the brakes with larger rotors.

The reason for the math is to make sure your stuff will work together. Will the master cylinder you're looking at work well with the calipers you have in mind? Will the pedal effort increase or decrease? Can you stop the car with one foot on the brakes or will it take both feet and your butt in the air to haul the car down?

In my case I copied an existing brake system. All my stuff is from a 2005 Mercedes S55. I didn't have to do anything except find an appropriate master cylinder.

The Pirate 4x4 site is great. I've been looking at it off and on for several years. It's got a lot of stuff that will work in many vehicles not just 4x4s.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon