Quote:

Haven't commented on your problem,,just looking at the responses from time to time. Never actually had this problem or heard the noise in a 'running' engine,,but,,did have a friend have me come listen to an engine, on the assembly stand, no heads on it, and it made a squeeking sound once in awhile while being turned over by hand. I diagnosed it as a broken ring upon assembly. Turned out to be correct. Maybe when you are pulling plug wires and taking the pressure off that cylinder,,it is allowing the noise of a ring scrapeing the cylinder wall to go away..?? Maybe a leak-down test would show something ?? Just a thought...GOOD LUCK with your problem.

Thanks. I guess it couldn't hurt to run a compression and leak down test on that cylinder, but I'm not sure that holding the exhaust valve closed would take any pressure off the rings...

the sound was present with engine running and all 8 cylinders firing.

sound was present with engine running and #5 fuel injector unplugged, effectively creating a "dead" cylinder.

sound was still present after backing off the intake rocker, which I imagine, would have taken off ALL pressure from the rings, and actually put them into a massive negative pressure like when you downshift a manual transmission with a closed throttle.

sound finally went away once the intake rocker was backed off and the intake valve not moving, and the exhaust valve backed off and not moving. came back with just the exhaust rocker tightened back down, again, no fuel, no air just a "dead cylinder" with the exhaust valve opening once every 4 strokes.

but since I'll be pulling the intake, I might as well do a quick compression test, and a leak down.

by the way, on a leak down, does a piston really have to be at TDC, or can you just keep the valves closed by removing the rocker arms?

**Photobucket sucks**