Quote:

Wow, from the looks of that picture...I don't see how the cam survived? And if it were me I take the whole thing out and apart and start over. You will never know if you got all the pieces out otherwise.

Proper lash/pre load is important.

the roller was still able to spin sitting like that. but it was rubbing and thus, the squeaking. the fact that the roller stayed rolling is what probably saved the cam. I already looked the cam lobe over very closely, wiped the oil away and felt with my finger. it is smooth to the touch, no signs of wear at all, other than the same visible wear pattern as what's on the rest of the lobes. if the cam had worn at all, it would have worn only as wide of a mark as that roller is wide, before getting into the rest of the lifter to start wearing the rest of the lobe. ...if that makes sense. the lobe is like, 1 1/4 inched wide, and the roller is only about 3/4 of an inch wide, and it rides right in the middle of the cam lobe. if the lobe had worn at all, it would have a big groove in it as wide as the roller.

no metal filings anywhere, just simple part failure and "big" metal pieces. I can see where the lifter body cracked and broke, allowing the lifter to come apart. oil is clean, not sparkley. so if there are any more pieces, they're at the bottom of the oil pan.

**Photobucket sucks**