Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can get my 500 using iron heads stock crank, rods, hydro cam, stock shafts and rockers and you can't.

I'd like to see this - 500 at the crank with all stock parts

why's that? You can get it with old school TRW 10.5:1 pistons, LY rods, stock crank, home ported 915 or 906 heads, 1 7/8" headers, RPM intake and a 509 cam.
Think not? Here's a freinds old set up in a full steel 67 GTX. As mention above stock carnk 440 w/ TRW's ported 915 heads, 1 7/8 headers, 509 cam, Stock shafts/rockers and a six-pack. Not sure what stall but he had 4.10's and ran 11.80 @ 116. That's about 465 at the rear wheels. I'll bet that's over 500 at the crank. Could be equaled w/ a single 4. I have another friend that ran the same thing except a 557 solid in a 70 4 speed RR, he had about the same #'s w/ more mph but I'm guessing the RR is a little heavier. Nothing fancy about either set-up.

The average et/mph for the B-Body 440 combo is around the 11.80-11.30 range. Anything else, stroked 440 or not, is a bonus. Smallblocks, built
right can reach the 11.40-11'teens range, stock stroke, (it's been proven) so I would be wary of the races picked. The "true" costs of build where it consists of money spent where it's needed, will determine the cheapest build. And
for the sake of advancing technology, it isn't always the Big Block.

not a chance you can take a stock stroke 340 and use an old school 509, home port job, stock valve train, headers and all drop it in a b-body and run close to 11's. I'd bet it would run in the 13's (if that) They same combo I wrote about above would run 10's easy in an A-body w/o a huge amount of stall or steap gears. Nobody is saying you can make a sb run...

No..You are just against the idea of one (smallblock) in a B-Body, RUNNING HARD!!
Let me ask one question... Is everything that you COMPARE have to be in a B-Body chassis? I do understand and respect your combo - a classic example of what to do in a HEAVY chassis. The et's listed above were for their RESPECTIVE chassis (ie: 440 B-Body, 340/360 A-body). Most racers who run street/strip or all out track
DO lighten up B-Bodies. It's been an ongoing Mopar
tradition since the time of the Max-Wedge and Race HEMI era. Saves parts, less breakage and reduces the hp absorbed (in chassis) to move the vehicle. Granted the sky is the limit for displacement and with that in saying, you COULD put a two-door C body
into the high to mid 11's with a correctly built
540+ (stroker) wedge and some weight lost in the RIGHT places. But thats just ONE of a few odd examples. Smallblocks CAN power a 3500 lb B-body (stripper model/w driver) to the 12-12.5 sec zone, with nary a problem. It's the SAME weight as an average A-body, but a WIDER chassis (mass) to move! But, it's not as efficient compared to the Big Block. As CompSync put it, it's all about
careful choice of parts and CORRECT assembly. There are LOTS of people who are talented at extracting power from a stock stroke 340, since it's rise from the street scene in 68'-69' to the battle zones of the Modified Production classes till late 70's. There's still ONGOING performance development on the 340 motor, so just as you respect your 440's, 340's command THEIR OWN respect BIG TIME!!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)