Quote:

So my question, Why hasn't the 4.84 BS Indy 600-13 caught on? It's just a big ole grunt motor that repeats well, is reliable, and everyone I've talked to who went that route seem pleased. Is it just not a big enough jump?

First off very nice post, I enjoyed reading it very much.

I asked about the 4.840 indy stuff on here years ago and the response was go for it if you want to Marry Indy. Not to many people that are into that lvl of engine seem to want that. Although they would give a ring to Bob George in a second;)

Over the past 10 years I have built engine after engine (or bought and then rebuilt) trying to keep up with the competition in our local Pulling club which has been growing rapidly over the years. Each engine built had to be bigger and stronger to try and keep up with the GM and Ford boys. 15-20 years ago we ran a old stock 440 with some NOS and had lots of fun. The fun stopped pretty quickly when the rule no Nitros was put in. So I ported the 906 heads added a torquer 2 intake and stayed in last place for 2 years.

So the stage 6 heads were coming out and I bought a set of them. Bored the old 440 .060 over added a 509 came and the new victor intake. Engine ran fine for what it was but at this time the GM and Ford boys had 500ci strokers and the little 440 couldn't keep up.

So I found a great deal on 496ci engine with 440-1c heads. We went through the engine and it made 800hp. We won our points championship once and runner up the next year. Rules changed again in the club and people were starting to come in with 572ci GM and Ford engines. We upgraded the 496 to get another 50hp out of her but it just couldn't keep up again.....

At this time the Predators were just out and we knew we needed a 600ci engine to compete against the now 650ci engines in the club. We struck a deal on an older 636ci B1-TS engine. Money was the factor of coarse going with the TS heads and not the Predators. Also we were told of the advantages of the larger 4.840BS block and didn't know much about the TS or 4.840 stuff but we learnt very quickly. We learnt that what people said these heads and engines were, were not exact the reality of them. Even with the 636 engine and 1100+hp we were still behind cause people were running 650ci Schmit engines with 1300hp.

We then had to make the decision of what to do to try and get into that 1200-1300hp range. A Predator engine at the time would have done it for sure (2 years ago) but we decided to go the B1-TS route once again but this time have all the bells and whistles done to the heads and engine. The engine i'm talking about now is the 640 I've had for the last two years and I just sold this winter. We were extremely happy with the engine and it did what it could for what it was. We aimed for 1200-1300 and got it but last season we realized that even 1300hp is not enough to keep up on power tracks.

After selling the two b1-TS engines we finally had the money to sit down and actually decide which head/engine would be the best way to go. We thought Predator, Hemi 99, Hemi Millenium, we even considered going to the dark side. Very quickly we realized that no 4.800 BS head would keep up with the 4.900 or 5 inch GM/Ford pulling engines.

Are the Predator heads a great 4.800 head..... YES.... Will they make that 1200-1300hp....Sure.... Were they going to make the 1400+ I needed for the next engine. Nope. Is it the Predators heads fault? Maybe not. Being on the 4.800BS is the problem, even the 4.840 wouldn't help. Either have to move right to the 4.900 like prostock/ford, or right to the 5 inch stuff.

Every power lvl comes with a cost and the certain equipment to do it with. I've made mistakes in the past but i've learnt a hell of a lot going through these last ten years.

The people who don't send nice words to the "newer" equipment out there just won't or never wanted to attain that higher power level in the first place.

To me if it was attended to be made for a mopar its a MOPAR. Let it be 906's, b1's, Brewer, Zeeker, Millennium stage5, 600-13, pro stock hemi...... They are all MOPAR to me