Quote:

A spirited post, to say the least. Here's my two cents.

Fender tags and build sheets are not legally required, legally binding, nor illegal to produce or buy/sell. If someone wants to fill the void under the hood or have a build sheet made to look like the original,complete with rusty seat spring marks, whether they possess the original or not is totally their decision. Nothing immoral about it.

Dissing those who produce or want such items just because some use said items to misrepresent their car is exactly like some whining liberal blaming Glock or Sig for the murder rate.

"Fake" is a pejorative. That term is perhaps more aptly reserved for things like my repop Challenger wheel well moldings that took an entire day and every four letter word I know to fit. Those, my friends, were fakes.

Nobody in the 60's was prescient. Nobody figured these cars would ever command the $ they do today. Had they been, I'm sure the manufacturers would have been taken steps to authenticate the uniqueness of the cars and prevent "counterfeiting" beyond just some chintzy metal tag.

The last I checked, "let the buyer beware" applied to mopars like everything else. If I pay a million bucks for a fake Van Gogh, the last person who deserves my wrath is the litho shop that produced the painting. I have no one but myself to blame for not enlisting the services of skilled art appraisers.

For example, take a 69 1/2 RR Six Pack car vs. a Satellite clone of the same. The only differences between those cars are a couple of letters and numbers on a couple of small pieces of sheet metal. If someone thinks those little pieces of metal are worth an additional $85K, that's their trip. But they only have themselves to blame, not the fender tag reproducer, for not ending up with the real deal.

what he said