I understand your predicament & hope you can find your original. I started a resto 5 yrs ago on my 68 383, 4spd Formula S & misplaced the tag or my mechanic did. Either way, I've got to find the original & even though I have the build sheet, I won't buy a ropop fender tag. The repops look fake to the discerning eye, anyway, & a few yrs ago, my bro bought a $42K, rotiserrie restored 68 GTX from a very 'reputable' dealer & resto shop that was a fake. He didn't know it until 6 mos after he sold the car to put his daughter thru college. Now, after looking at the tag, I can see its a fake. I'd never buy a car from this dealer & certainly question his reputation whether he know about it or not.
I agree, it depends on intent, but I certainly understand Barry's stand. Don't get me wrong, I'm in NO way accusing you of being dishonest, nor demeaning your intent with the following link. This article is exactly why, I believe, Barry feels the way he does. I was a victim of this guy who sold me a damaged 70 hemi block & crank & only found recourse by adding it to this lawsuit, because Barry & another Moparts member saw Pappas's ad on ebay & Hemmings & knew he was selling a fake &posted it on cuda chllenger.com.
Hats off to Barry & Aaron who noticed his tag & vin plate were fakes & posted it on the net. Here's the link http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/07/01/hmn_feature16.html
I was going to make a tag on my hemi challenger clone & put OH MANGO Kick ass Hemi, on the bottom line, but never did.

Anyway, best of luck finding your tag.