Just some thoughts....

Index racing is not bracket racing. To bracket race you make runs to decide what your dial in will be. You race a sportsman tree so you get plenty warning on the GO. Index racing you race a Pro tree and whether you are slow or fast you enter the class knowing you have to run the same ET as everyone else. Do I like it, NO. Am I good at it, WELL I CAN BE VERY GOOD AT IT.

Ok on with it....

People keep complaining about too many rules but then turn around and say no outlaw cars, no wheelie bars, and etc.
There was a tire rule in the index class I raced this past year. They released the rule to allow more cars. I put the biggest thing I had on the car to proove a point. No one had a clue. The car slowed down big time with the big tires. Deadly consistant on the launch but consistantly slow.
Wheelie bars have little effect either. They do one of two things. Keep your front end down to a safe level or unload the back end to get wheel speed on launch. Never understood why people get so razzled about them.
Then the power adder weight breaks and the BB SB arguement. Well any fool can see a 638CID BB will make 250 HP NA over the best 480CID SB. Add power adders into the mix and the difference keeps spreading. P&G and weight to cube is the only fair way to deal with it but a huge technical nightmare. Leaf springs and cal tracs are very impressive but against 4-links are not even comparable. Just because someone has manipulated a 7531 box to get a great 60 ft with limited suspension or tire means nothing.
It all comes down to the same thing it has always been. You can put up $100,000 to win and if guys think they are coming in second place they are not going to show up. If you make the rules absolutely perfectly fair for every combination imaginable the guy who isn't meeting potential is still not going to be happy about it. I wish I could bring something to the table to help this along as a race can be a great thing but I have seen this story play out many times before. Reading this tread is just a reminder of how this goes. Kinda like trying to get countries in the middle east to get along with one another.
Simply copying a local rule format for all makes and trying to implement it to a Mopar crowd is not a good idea. How many small block Mopar canted valve heads have you seen running. Look at the power level of these and the restrictions you would run into to run them. Just an example of what the rules can leave out.
Some have tried to just see what cars that wanna race have. Then make rules to accomodate. KOS tried this for years problem is most who said they would race did not show up.
Here is an idea. Run what you brung with whatever meaningless rules, street appearing whatever. Have two ways to put up money for the event. One in winner payout and the other in money for the fastest combo of the sponsors choice. Say $250 for fastest NA SB, $250 for fastest NA BB, $250 for NOS BB, etc, etc. Maybe then the guy with a combo that may proove not competive is shooting for money for his combo. No one will make money racing in something like this but at least it makes one feel better. LOL

My idea..... Rent a track spray it with deisel fuel and 90 weight gear oil and run what you brung or whatever you dare. Whoever proves they can get it done got it done. LOL

Leon
Maybe I should have just left this tread alone but I fealt I needed to vent a little a point a few things out.

Last edited by Leon441; 11/23/10 11:21 PM.

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.