It should! The fact is police officers or any other "trained personnel" aren't going to be there 99% of the time a crime is comitted. That coupled with the fact "The System" caters to criminals as opposed to the victims only makes getting the appropriate justice less likely.
Even the Supreme Court has ruled police officers are NOT obligated to step in & enforce the law if it seems imprudent (to paraphrase their whole finding). In my 30 years of law enforcement I can tell you sentences are rarely fair & the victims are stuck scratching their head trying to figure out why they even bothered.
Now "Plastic" brings up a (very) few good points in his last post. No, one doesn't go around chasing speeders shouting "citizen's arrest! citizen's arrest!" (for those of you that remember Andy Griffith), BUT when faced with a criminal and you're a victim I qouls hope your "average American male" (whatever that is) would have the stones to at least confront him & if confident enough do EXACTLY the sort of thing Roy did.
And "Plastic", I hate to tell you, but your attitude is only going to make you a victim that will never see justice, as your plan of sitting until the cops come will get you nowhere..........