Quote:

if he was worried about his safety then he should have left the guy alone, chase him off, follow him and get TRAINED people to handle it.

Why should any of us have to rely on someone else.....especially a government entity ... to do what is right ?
Trained ?
I've been trained in many things over the years and some of them would insure that this person never stole again.
But to lose the self reliance that made this nation great is a sad thing to ponder.
My garage was broken into a couple months after we moved here........15 + years ago.
After filling out the police report and doing everything that would ever be done regarding the case , the officer asked me " Do you have a gun ? "
I told him I didn't , and his advice was simply " Get one ".
I will not allow myself to be a victim if I can prevent it.
Nor my family , nor a stranger who needs my help.
I am not wired that way , and not only do I see this position as the correct one , but I cannot understand why anyone would think differently.
I fail to see where this thief got anything he didn't deserve.
As I said earlier.......if Roy wanted to host a barbecue , I do believe he would have done just that.
He taught the punk a lesson no court could ever do , and if he has to write out a " fat check " then the lesson was wasted and we all are poorer for it.