Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The pinion will move from it's preset angle and it's relationship to the driveshaft.

Can you please explain as you understand it. mike

Not Mike, but will answer for him, there is no "as we understand it", it is what it is. The pinion does NOT maintain the same plane, through the arc of differential travel. Don't know any other way to explain it. The differential, does not stay stationary in one spot and simply move up and down. It SWINGS in an ARC. If it does this, the pinion can not possibly stay on the same plane. A 4-link is, to way over simplify here, nothing more than a long ladder bar. Properly set up, if you extended the upper and lower bars, they would eventually intersect. This is the "Instant Center" of a 4-link. The rear swings in an arc, from this instant center. Now where a ladder bar and 4-link differ, is that a ladder bar has a constant instant center, that being the front mounting point and a 4 link has a large amount of instant center combinations, depending on where you position the bars. Also, with the position of the brackets on the housing and the fact that the top and bottom bars are generally not the exact same length, the instant center of a 4-link is also constantly changing as the rear swings. I don't know of any other more clear way to try to explain it.

Monte

I think I will get a gopro camera and take some video. and see how much movement we actually get.

Thanks Monte for the answer. I did a 4 link study today and as long as the 4 bars on the 4 link are the same length and bolted in level.

The Pinion angle will remain Exactly the same through out the axels/differentials entire arc. If set at horizontal that Same 0* plane will be maintained through the entire axels arc but yet still be inches apart. Not the Same Exact plane, just the Same Exact 0* plane inches apart.

But thats not the case when the bars are moved to other angles to achieve a desired IC. But the Pinions angle will remain close to its original position angle.
But just move up and down.

Bottom line for me is that I know u jounts are most efficient at parralell angles, even if that parralell angle is inches apart, while under power.

For me Pinion angle Only exists if measured from the tranny centerline.

For you, Bob,6Pac, others it seems Pinion angle Only exists if measured off the driveshaft.

Its obvious both schools of thought work,

but I think Me ,Quicktree,Spicer,Caltrac,Dave Morgan,Sarah Palin, Mark Williams,Bill Clinton ETC cant be that far off track.

My thoughts on this are fixed as are yours and others Its all good.

Untill the next Pinion angle Party, have a good one mike

Last edited by Sport440; 12/20/09 09:32 PM.