Quote:

Quote:

On a 4 link doesnt the pinion if its set straight/level stay on that same Level plane through out its arc travel.

Im no expert but I think it does. If thats the case then it may be the perfect example to use to explain the pinion angle based off the tranny centerline method.

If it is the case, That the pinion stays at the same angle through out the rear ends arc on a 4 link.

.Only moving up and down on the same Level plane. The Pinion angle is Not changing.

Only the driveshaft and joint angles have changed, not the pinion angle from parralel.

Just a Friendly rear end pinion angle talk mike

No, it does not stay on the same plane.

The only way that could happen, is for the rear to be on an up and down slide, it is not, it swings in an arc, just like a ladder bar, just like a leaf spring.

Just to be Clear are you reffering to the Axels plane or the Pinions plane??

The above statement appears to refer to the axels plane and is 100% correct as stated. It does swing in an arc and not a single plane.

My Question is while the axel is swinging in its Arc will the Pinion maintain its set horizontal plane by the design of the 4 link bars.

While the axel swings down the Bars lengths/angles rotate the said axel to maintain its original pinion angle.

Asked another way, If we hang a Angle finder on the Pinion and swing the axel through its arc.

Will the angle finder on the Pinion read the same throughout that arc? Or at least nearly the same to within a degree?

I thought the 4 link bars were designed in part to do just that. mike

Last edited by Sport440; 12/19/09 03:57 PM.