Quote:

On a 4 link doesnt the pinion if its set straight/level stay on that same Level plane through out its arc travel.

Im no expert but I think it does. If thats the case then it may be the perfect example to use to explain the pinion angle based off the tranny centerline method.

If it is the case, That the pinion stays at the same angle through out the rear ends arc on a 4 link.

.Only moving up and down on the same Level plane. The Pinion angle is Not changing.

Only the driveshaft and joint angles have changed, not the pinion angle from parralel.

Just a Friendly rear end pinion angle talk mike

No, it does not stay on the same plane.
The only way that could happen, is for the rear to be on an up and down slide, it is not, it swings in an arc, just like a ladder bar, just like a leaf spring.

I know some of you just think I am busting Tony's stones for fun, and while that may be part of it that is not the only reason. I use the method I do, because I know it works and have had good successs with it. I don't use his method, because as pointed out, you go to all that trouble and as soon as the car moves, all that is out the window. I have always raced cars, but I have not always made a living working with race cars. One of the jobs I had for nearly 20 years, was as a Millwright. Now if you don't know what that means, it means I worked as an industrial maint mechanic and my crew was in charge of setting and aligning equipment in a very large Monsanto plant. My crew was considered one of the best at what we did and worked all the big jobs at that plant and even traveled to others to set equipment and align it. I have set and aligned huge pieces of equipment and drivelines, some bigger than most houses. We used dial indicators to align the couplings on pumps, motors and huge industrial drivelines, that have alignment tolerances in the .001, so I know how important driveline angles and proper alignment can be. That also allows me to understand the basics of the driveline in a race car and how really insignificant most of these pinion angle discussions are. There is nothing even remotely precise about the driveline in a race car and therefore, much time spent worrying about the pinion angle, is time wasted.

Monte