THIS POST IS FOR DRAG RACING, TRACK ONLY CARS......One more time for those who came late to the party. A perfectly straight driveline, eats the least power and is the reason that tube chassis cars are set up and built as they are, to be as close to that as possible. As drag racers, that is what we want, the absolute least loss of power. Your transmission output is where it is in most cars and you can't move it. For a given ride height, your front joint has an angle that can be changed very little, so you deal with it. Your rear angle however can be dealt with, by raising or lowering the pinion. If our goal is the least power loss, that means we want the driveline to be as straight as possible "UNDER POWER". So we guess, at about where we think the pinion will be, "UNDER POWER", taking into account suspension deflection, and set the shaft to pinion angle, to achieve as straight a driveline angle as we can, while "UNDER POWER". Now this is strictly a guess, as suspension is dynamic during the entire run, meaning it is NOT STATIC and is constantly changing. Equal joint angles, parallel center line planes and all that other crap, go straight out the window when you drop the hammer, because as the suspension moves, it is never in that spot again. Now if you go to the trouble to do all that stuff, she may be super smooth while you are towing or idling back up the return road and well yeah, I guess that may be the most important thing to some, but just not me. If it rides around the pits and don't throw the shaft out, it is good enough. Where it is going down the track is what counts and me personally, I want that to be as close to a straight line as I can get it.

Monte

Notice, this post was made without the expressed written consent of Quicktree or Dave Morgan and does not express their views. These opinions, are only those expressed by the poster, and as such, said opinions are not to be taken as gospel and are only intended for informational purposes