Originally Posted by 11secdart
Sounds like I am very very lucky to have a really good trans guy... back in December I placed an ad in the parts wanted section looking for a 4 inch stroker crank for my R3 block ( still don't have one ) a person answered stating his friend had one and gave me his email . I did he gave me an address to send a money order to ( the address was in a different state than him , should have been my first clue something was wrong ) I sent the m.o. to the address ( according to Google maps it was a mobile home ) .. well it was a scam , the guy that answered the ad deleted his account , the recipient of the money order says he can only refund my money to a bank and to give him my account number .. yea right. he got mad when I called him a thief .. well then what are you? I don't see my $720 refund ! the point of this is ... I called the police in the town I sent the money order to as well as my local police and they basically told me there is nothing they can do.. I did however fill out a form with the Post office law enforcement alleging fraud with all the information I had on the scammer but I haven't heard anything .

Make sure you present the documentation to the Postal Inspector, not some counter person in the local P.O.

May want to contact the county sheriff and see if they have a squad that handles this sort of thing. If not move up to the state police and ask them if they will.
Sometimes just a phone call from LE is enough to get you your $$.