Originally Posted by moparx
a 727 or 904 transmission is pretty easy to rebuild.
just pick up a copy of the Monroe book, plus a manual from the ATSG for your transmission.
then get the upgrade parts you need or want, and have at.
if i can do one, anyone can. boogie
beer

Lots of videos on youtube for disassembly and putting them back together. The old 727 rebuild video from technical videos is good, Paul Zank IIRC. Plenty of watchables out there.

REALLY simple transmissions 904 & 727. Hate to say it, but there is no black magic in these things that require 2K+ bills for a transmission only that most in here would use. 727 suck because to do it right you need the expensive front drum. If not for that, they would be much more reasonable to build. 727 needs drum, sprag, good valve body and rebuild kit and go. Whatever bands you want are out there. Give a fish, learn to fish deal. Even if you build it and it has an issue, better to use the resources here to help solve it than to freight it back and wait, you'd be pulling it either way.

One of my favorites was my friend got sold a story about the teflon seals vs the usual ones. CRT seals show up and the bag has the same part number as the cheap wholesale house had except were 2x the price. Lesson learned The fibers/steels, seals etc are all from the same suppliers if you have a wholesale location to buy from, nothing special about them.

TB valve bodies sure got expensive....

Last edited by crackedback; 05/03/23 04:44 PM.