Quote:

I have run as much as 2° negative and STILL worn out the outer part of the tread first. But, then, I am an animal.

ANIMAL!!

Present and attending.

This darn mountain of gravel got in my way last time at the track. Picked out rocks stuck between my rim and tire for a month.

Quote:

I like lots of positive caster but not more than 2.5 to 3 deg. or so. More is better for road racing as long as there are no REALLY long high-speed straights -- excess caster makes the car pretty spooky at very high speeds. Caster is somehow hard for a lot of guys to conceptualize. Picture a line drawn between the center of the ball joints. If this line is viewed from dead-ahead of the car, you're looking at steering axis inclination (not independently adjustable). Viewed from the side, this same line is caster.

Rick

I gave up like 5.5 degrees for 4.5 degree of caster to get that 1.5 negative camber for my last alignment. Just because I thought the benefits were greater.

Rich, what is going on at high speeds that over 3 degrees caster affects the car?? Is assume that's 110 mph plus.

I know from our circle track cars that caster will change the scale readings and weigh bias in a corner when you are turning. You can see that when you turn a car and the fenders go up and down.

Books say caster is only needed for production type heavy sedans. Real open wheel racecars don't run much or any.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 04/06/09 12:06 AM.