Not really relevant to fixing the OP’s situation, but I’ll offer up why I degree every cam.......

In the grand scheme of the number of engines that get built, cams installed, timing sets replaced....... the number I’ve done myself since I did my first one on a 289 Ford in high school is minuscule. A tiny tiny fraction of the total number that have been done.

Yet....... even within that tiny tiny sampling of timing sets that I’ve used myself........ I’ve come across 4 sets where there was a dot on the wrong tooth.
Frankly, I’m totally shocked by that, but it is what it is.
One of those sets was a very high dollar belt drive system for a BBM.

When the top gear is off a tooth...... it’s like 14deg off...... and while the motor will still run “okay”, that’s far enough to make it not run “right”.

The first time I came across this I was degreeing a roller cam that had been run in a different motor.
When I built that motor I didn’t have cam degreeing equipment, lined up the dots and let it go.
It was always a dud down low, and just figured the cam was too big for the application.

New short block gets built with some dome pistons, 8” converter gets bought to use with new build(both to help cover up the lack of low end grunt)...... and I now have cam degreeing tools.
I’m still pretty new to it at this point, and am assuming I’m just doing something wrong as I keep coming up with the cam is retarded 14deg.
I have the bushing kit, but that doesn’t get you close to moving it 14deg.

I don’t recall what made me decide to do it, but we had an old factory Hemi timing set on the shelf, so I tried it with that.
Cam came right in.
I thought I must have just been off a tooth or something with the first set, so I reinstalled it, making extra sure it’s in dot to dot.
Cam is 14deg retarded.
Pull upper gear off, lay one gear on top of the other, line up the bolt holes...... slide the gears apart....... the dots are one tooth apart on the two gears.

I figured that would be a once in a lifetime type of thing, but since that first one in 1984, I’ve come across it 3 more times.
1- 3 bolt BB Mopar
2- 1 bolt BB Mopar
3- SBC
4- Jesel for BB Mopar

That’s why I degree every one.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads