More tools! This is always a great solution... thumbs I'll get that kit cuz it'll apply the blunt force more directly that the rattling chains.

Mike, thanks - that's the kind of thing that will work... My thought is to set up a ram or jack situation that puts a lot of Constant force on the axle flange, then use the slide hammer to apply the added blunt force to break the !@&^#$ race free...

(Full Disclosure: I am going to see if I can rotate the 'closure plate' such that the "flat spot" clears the axle housing flange and I can try my "bolt idea" where the closure plate is out of the way..

...once it breaks free I'm golden - if it can move a millimeter, it can move an inch.

Whew - this whole project has def put a dent in my automotive ego. My joints ache, my muscles are sore, I'm wracking my brains for solutions - so THANKS for all your advice.

On the brighter side, automotive things haven't gone this bad in many years so I'm due.. BTW - Did I mention the steering rack on my Alfa Romeo is worn out and the whole thing needs replaced? Another FUN project just sitting there staring at me with it's beady little eyes..

BUT - tomorrow I take a break and drive to MD with the kids to visit in-laws. I'll be the guy lounging by the pool with an ice cold Margerita.

Cheers,
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle