Update - and question.

I used the brake drums installed backwards as a homemade slide hammer and got the driver's side axle out, easy. The bearing seems absolutely fine, but it was installed without an inner oil seal, just tons of red silicone gooped in there and around the flange plate.

The same homemade slide hammer trick has NOT worked AT ALL to pull the axle out on the passenger side. The FSM says to use a special tool, a puller... and I'll see if I can rent a proper slide hammer puller from a local parts store.

BUT on page 3-3 of the '65 FSM the instruction also states "The right hand shaft with the adjuster in the retainer plate will also have a lock on one of the studs that will be removed at this time (Fig. 3 & 4)."

Question ;
- What "lock" is the FSM talking about removing? It can't be the adjusting ring, can it?
- Without removing this lock - is that why I can't pull the @U^&%$#R axle out?

Figure 3 and 4 are simple, unlabeled, exploded views of the axles, oil seals, flanges, gaskets and such parts. No mention of where this "lock" is.

Thanks!
- Art

PS - as an experiment I tried loosening the adjuster ring but I haven't been able to budge it with a blunt punch and hammer.

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle