Originally Posted By 67SATisfaction
OK - thanks a bunch all of you - super helpful pictures,

That "lock" is completely missing from my passenger side flange. All the flange bolts are off and they had nothing but lockwashers under them. No lock with the tip that grabs the adjuster ring.

As for the adjuster ring - I've hammered on it pretty hard but not damaged or deformed it. I'll use PB Blaster in the morning, some blow torch heat and try again, thanks.

Someone must have been into these bearings before me, there are no gaskets behind the "flange plate", just silicon sealant gooped in there...

.... and I am starting to think the adjuster ring was never tightened properly and/or it backed off because the lock is missing.. which can give me loose bearings and all the symptoms I've experienced.

I'll get my hands on one of those locks from a salvage yard, try getting it apart and update again.
Thanks guys,
- Art

Art someone was definitely in there , silicon was not factory installed. It's possible that the adjuster did back off , you are trying to turn it counter clockwise correct ?

You should be able to get the axle out without loosening the adjuster.

Good luck finding that clip in the junkyard , unless you have a yard nearby that didn't crush everything old , the clip is available in the aftermarket , dr. diff ? And if you need a new axle adjuster end plate I have a spare one .

running up my post count some more .