A couple thoughts...
The early housing is exactly 1" shorter overall (53 5/16" vs 54 5/16") than the one for the 65. It would be an option if you were looking for something narrower due to tire clearance. Cass has green bearing axles available for this that eliminates the nut assembly however you would need to re-use your backing plates and drums because they're different than the pre 65 ones. This wouldn't be the best option to go financially...
If you wanted to save the 2.76 to put into a new housing you will have to cut the old housing off or figure out how to get the axle out.
I know I have a decent 65 housing and a pair of axles but shipping would be a killer.
Be sure to source another backing plate for the RR unless your going to cut the end off of the axle to save it.

I just got new axles from Cass for my 65 housing since I needed them with green bearings and no plate between the bearing and flange due to using Wilwood brakes. I have a decent set of used axles if you need them.

The point your at I would think the housing end is probably damaged possibly beyond being able to be reused. Cut the end off the axle and save the backing plate and hardware then cut the housing so the axle will come out to get the pig out. Another 65 housing and a pair of axles...assemble and you should be good to go... shruggy

If it was me I would cut your housing right behind the backing plate where the tube ends to get the axle out and maybe someone else could then use it for a narrowed rear... twocents

...FAFO...