Thanks guys,
It'll save you both the trouble when I tell you I cut the end off already.. but maybe hook up w/you at LV - is it the Mopars in the Valley weekend?

CURRENT STATUS:
- I indexed the tube to the flange, then I cut the flange end off the axle tube between the leaf spring perch and the thicker flange end. The splined end slid right out.
- I took both axles to the machine shop this morning.
- They'll try pressing the "bad" axle out of the cut flange end. They'll stand it up on the splined end and press from "below" using the brake plate as a stopper, but I told them they will probably just bend that and if so just cut that off then they can grab the tube flange.

What are your thoughts:
- Am I better off sourcing a new diff and axle housing, or is it worth the effort to have the shop re-weld my flange end back onto my housing? The diff oil in my case was unbelievably clean, so I'm confident my diff is good.

A.) The shop said they could probably weld my original flange end back on. The tube is indexed and the overall length someone wrote in a comment in this thread. I wonder how "true' they can weld it back together? I assume the material I cut away is just replaced by weld. We didn't discuss details, the bearing surface in the end I cut off could be ruined as far as we know. But the shop was willing to consider rewelding it.

B.) If I get a whole nother rear end, I'd be having to clean it all up, repaint it, and if I can trust the pig in it (how do I even know that?) just stick my axles with new bearings in and do the stock taper end-play adjustment with the gauge. If I want my original 742 pumpkin, then I take mine apart and stick it in the new diff axle housing.

I'll share what the shop finds.
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle